WANTED Chrysler RV2 compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EurekaSevven

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey all,

To put a long story short, I think the RV2 compressor that came with my Chrysler was a bit...wonky. I had disassembled it about 80/90% with no issue, until I reached one of my pistons (specifically, the bolts connecting the rod to the bottom connecting rod, across the crankshaft). The previous bolts on the other piston came off fine (I don't know the specific torque rating but it couldn't have been that high since they came out with minimal effort), but these...these specific ones would not budge for anything. I could not find any visible damage or melt in the rod of the crankshaft. I tried copious amounts of carb cleaner and WD40. And I ended up stripping the heads of the bolts from trying to turn them so aggressively...they just didn't budge.

So, if someone wants a core, specifically mine, you're gonna be in a rough time.

Anyways, to the point: I need an RV2 in good condition, can be a bit beaten up but as long as it works I don't really care. Ebay commands high prices and I've heard that remans are very hit or miss (the RV2 had three versions of an oil pan from my memory, and swapping them can have bad results from my knowledge), but as long as it works and is all original as it came I'm good.

I have one here in WI. Worked fine when I removed it about 15 years ago. Shipping is the deal killer though.

Hey all,

To put a long story short, I think the RV2 compressor that came with my Chrysler was a bit...wonky. I had disassembled it about 80/90% with no issue, until I reached one of my pistons (specifically, the bolts connecting the rod to the bottom connecting rod, across the crankshaft). The previous bolts on the other piston came off fine (I don't know the specific torque rating but it couldn't have been that high since they came out with minimal effort), but these...these specific ones would not budge for anything. I could not find any visible damage or melt in the rod of the crankshaft. I tried copious amounts of carb cleaner and WD40. And I ended up stripping the heads of the bolts from trying to turn them so aggressively...they just didn't budge.

So, if someone wants a core, specifically mine, you're gonna be in a rough time.

Anyways, to the point: I need an RV2 in good condition, can be a bit beaten up but as long as it works I don't really care. Ebay commands high prices and I've heard that remans are very hit or miss (the RV2 had three versions of an oil pan from my memory, and swapping them can have bad results from my knowledge), but as long as it works and is all original as it came I'm good.
What do you do when the clutch bearing is shot?

How much would shipping put a dent in my wallet?
No Idea. I would have to box it up and see what FEDEX or one of those thieves would charge. Have you given any thought to swapping in a Sandeen or newer style compressor? If you are interested in this one, I would take $50.00 plus shipping. My guess is they would want more than it's worth. Let me know if you want me to do some leg work on it.

Last edited:
I've thought about the Sanden, but I think that would require me to buy some specific brackets compared to the regular AC brackets for the RV2 - get a shipping quote and we'll go from there. I like to keep things OEM, and honestly $50 plus shipping, I'll do that. I'll DM you my zipcode so you can get a quote sometime tomorrow (or whenever you're able).

OK......So you don't need any of the brackets that are on it. I will take a couple pics of it tomorrow.

It has been in my shop loft for quite a while. I took it off of my 67 Chrysler 300 when it got totaled back in 2006. I had it for sale at a swap meet for $100.00 but no takers so pretty dusty now. Clutch and bearing seems good yet too. Here are a couple pics.

100_0416.JPG

100_0417.JPG

Actually, I think I might want your bracket - yours looks different than mine, on my 68. Mine actually made it a pain to get the water pump off for my front engine rebuild.

It's right at the top of this image I had of my teardown of mine:
sy4RNbn.png

I guess they changed it from 67 to 68?

Is your car a 383? The large bracket on the back will not fit a 440 or small block.

Yes, a 383. So yours would probably fit perfectly fine with maybe a few adjustments assuming a bolt hole doesn't line up. I'm just curious why yours seems to have two front brackets while mine is just one large piece. I guess they would've changed that from the 67 to the 68 model year...for what reason, I don't know, it just makes servicing harder.

What about the rear bracket? If you have that one it will knock of some shipping weight and maybe even a smaller box.

Hey all,

I have one right here in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back