"Chrysler to drop 300 sedan" article

Most Law Enforcement agencies are going to SUV's. I would be surprised if Chrysler would keep a stand alone car line. To the best of my knowledge no other manufacture does that so the answer is obvious. The Dodge Challenger has proven its point and they don't have the money to develop a new design and platform.

The CPOC (Chrysler Product Owners Club) does a couple shows annually, hosted at Chrysler and/or Dodge dealers. We did one in June at the Chrysler Jeep dealer, no Chryslers at all in the showroom, kind of sad......

What about the Charger? Built on the same platform.
There was talk in 2017 about the next gen of Charger (and possibly Challenger or its replacement) riding on the Maserati Ghibli or Giulia platform. That would make some sense. How many RWD sedan platforms do they need?

More recently however, the press said that FCA planned to update the existing LX platform for the next gen Charger and Challenger. Either way, it would be unfortunate if they drop the 300 altogether though.

I have a 2017 300C Platinum. I like it and don't plan on getting rid of it.

Do I need to start stockpiling NOS parts for this car???:poke:
20170422_083439.jpg
20170413_184505.jpg

We have been hearing this for a while at the Dealer level. I am currently keeping an eye out for a 2014 300C Hemi AWD to come in trade as it will be the last chance to have a car I really like and can drive year round. When they dropped the Hemi out of the AWD cars I lost all interest. My 2006 Magnum RT AWD Hemi has nearly 300000kms and is on borrowed time. I find it sad that the Marquee brands from the Big 3 have become antiquated now in favour of Infinitys and Acuras. The glory days of American Car Culture are gone IMHO. Soon we will 3D print a self driving electric pod so that we can devote our time to more intellectual pursuits...
1_dRcCu-c_g6nBpXYBaGPEpQ.jpeg

We have been hearing this for a while at the Dealer level. I am currently keeping an eye out for a 2014 300C Hemi AWD to come in trade as it will be the last chance to have a car I really like and can drive year round. When they dropped the Hemi out of the AWD cars I lost all interest. My 2006 Magnum RT AWD Hemi has nearly 300000kms and is on borrowed time. I find it sad that the Marquee brands from the Big 3 have become antiquated now in favour of Infinitys and Acuras. The glory days of American Car Culture are gone IMHO. Soon we will 3D print a self driving electric pod so that we can devote our time to more intellectual pursuits...
View attachment 214568
A used car dealer near me had two AWD Hemi 300's for sale last year. I presume they had been part of a fleet because they were both white and had almost identical mileage. We took one for a test drive but were put-off because it had a lot of valvetrain noise on start-up.

I have a couple questions which you would probably have an informed opinion about, @Dobalovr. Would there be issues getting parts for the AWD Hemi 300's when they get older, due to their relative rarity? Is AWD really a big deal vs. RWD + winter tires today, given the advances in traction control and tire technology? We can get a lot of snow in Ontario too. I see lots of Chargers, Challengers and 300s on the road year-round here. Many do have winter tires installed, evidenced by the generic black steel wheels, and they don't appear to be struggling in the snow.

A used car dealer near me had two AWD Hemi 300's for sale last year. I presume they had been part of a fleet because they were both white and had almost identical mileage. We took one for a test drive but were put-off because it had a lot of valvetrain noise on start-up.

I have a couple questions which you would probably have an informed opinion about, @Dobalovr. Would there be issues getting parts for the AWD Hemi 300's when they get older, due to their relative rarity? Is AWD really a big deal vs. RWD + winter tires today, given the advances in traction control and tire technology? We can get a lot of snow in Ontario too. I see lots of Chargers, Challengers and 300s on the road year-round here. Many do have winter tires installed, evidenced by the generic black steel wheels, and they don't appear to be struggling in the snow.

The AWD cars really do not have a significant advantage on everyday driving in our Northern climate but it is the 10-20% of the deep snow/hills/slush that the AWD really comes through. I don't foresee a huge problem getting parts in the future, I am still pulling parts for my 12 year old Magnum from the Parts Depots regularly.

If this is true, it is sad news indeed. And tells a lot about the incapability of the top brass. The engineers sure could pull it through. Chrysler did it once, in the ’90’s, under Eaton, Lutz, Castaing, and Pawley.
But to do what they did takes guts, vision, and civil courage. Obviously the present top brass have very little of any of those. It’s so shame.

The Germans keep on producing Sedans, too. And they make money on those.

If this is true, it is sad news indeed. And tells a lot about the incapability of the top brass. The engineers sure could pull it through. Chrysler did it once, in the ’90’s, under Eaton, Lutz, Castaing, and Pawley.
But to do what they did takes guts, vision, and civil courage. Obviously the present top brass have very little of any of those. It’s so shame.

The Germans keep on producing Sedans, too. And they make money on those.
Chrysler's product resurgence starting in the mid-90's was due, at least partly, to its acquisition of AMC and the decision to adopt AMC's engineering "platform team" approach to design. That got driven into the ground after the Daimler merger. Daimler kept a tight leash on R&D activities; the Chrysler engineers who championed the platform team approach got frustrated and left.

Buy another 300 and put it away in a warehouse.
You'll be set for life with NOS stuff. You'll freak people out in 25 years when you come up with a NOS steering wheel... :lol:
He'll just take one from a Charger and tell everyone about it

With a seeming LACK of advertising on Chrysler 300s, but tons of image advertising on Chargers, it's not surprising that we might see only Chargers after the next 5-year plan. The ONE LX plant has a fixed amount of potential volume of cars it can build. That why we lost Magnum to get Challenger. That why the Chrysler 300 SRTs mirror the Charger R/T upgrade models, too. I believe there's a Charger option package to get you the basic R/T items with the 3.6L V-6.

Initially, it seemed that Chrysler platforms were scabbed for other FCA large sedans in Europe. Now it seems that FCA is going to use the newer European platforms to underpin USA Chrysler sedans?

The PROBLEM with fewer models is that you have FEWER potential customers to sell them too! Everybody scolded GM for it's old "A vehicle for every purse" orientation, but then look at Toyota and it's still alive and well over there. Daimler found out that they couldn't sell a base Chrysler minivan to former Plymouth minivan customers, even if it was less expensive. They couldn't get those same former Plymouth minivan owners to purchase a Dodge Caravan, either. Plymouth meant "value", Dodge was "performance", and Chrysler was "luxury", to them. If they couldn't buy their Plymouth, then they probably went to Ford instead. GM incentivized Olds customers to purchase other GM cars, but most stayed with their existing former Olds dealer, especially if that dealer had also gotten an import line (as Hyundai or Kia). Those who'd been driving Delta 88s and couldn't find an Olds with a bench seat and column shift, kept them until they flat stopped running, by observation. IF they'd wanted a Buick or Cadillac, they would have already have had one! LOTS of mis-steps by people who make scads of money to "know something" and marketing people who advocated for those things, too..

Olds could have been saved with a little re-alignment of priorities, but with a parade of managers through Olds at that time, nobody really cared and top brand managers had their own orders. Such a shame! EVERY gap which USA brands leave in the market are usually quickly filled by models from Hyundai, Mitsu, or Toyota, by observation. What's purported to cut costs and save money ends up costing customers and longevity of the corporation.

A bright spot is that the LX sedans have led their sales segment for a good while. Against an over-priced Impala and a dying Taurus. Nobody wants sedans? Look at the aging demographics and how "small" most of the sedans have become! No real space utility or interior roominess. The ones which are still around are being priced out of the budgets of many people who might desire to purchase them new, but will have to hope they can find a good used one, off-lease, in a few years instead.

So we get hot rod coupes, over-priced main-stream cars, over-priced luxury cars . . . SUVs and minivans. AND pickup trucks that are too high off of the ground for shorter people, too!

When Chrysler has been Chrysler, they did well with very popular products. Well enough that others wanted them for their profits and accumulated savings. Then that happened and things went kaput with poorer sales and poorer products. Cycle repeat. Cycle repeat. . . .

Enjoy what we've had!
CBODY67

Back