Circuit Breaker for 1966 power seat

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted my plans to install a power seat. Now I need to figure out the wiring. It mentions in the service manual that it goes through a 30 amp circuit breaker behind the left cowl. I can't find any exact reference to the power seat going to any circuit breaker in the larger schematics.

I did however find a cowl circuit breaker which both cigar lighters and the convertible top motor. Am I safe to presume that I can run the power seat through it also?

20190303_085244.jpg
20190303_085427.jpg

If you need a separate circuit breaker, GM used a "new fuse style" circuit breaker for the power windows on their middle '80s-'90s pickups. A small metal housing item with the same plug in male terminals as the fuses these pickups used. The exposed contacts might be a little wider than the similar-sized fuses, though. Several amp ratings, stamped on their top edge and OEM color-coded. It should fit into an appropriate inline fuse pigtail that you could easily put inline with the supply line to the power seat motors. There were versions with a 30 amp rating, as I recall. Their small size might make them a little less robust than larger size circuit breakers, which might be another consideration. Just thinking that if they were good enough for a mainstream GM pickup application, then they might do what you need to do with. Just make sure they are in an easily-accessible placement, for good measure.

CBODY67

I used a NAPA resetting circuit breaker and put it in line with the power wire going to the power source that I used, which I think was off the starter constant hot circuit.

Back