CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE: GRUNDY, HAGERTY, OR ?

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for input and any experiences anyone may have had. Trying to figure out who would be best option based more on experiences with the company or any times you may have had to file any claims rather than best price necessarily. Obviously insurance isn't typically expensive for an occasionally driven classic car which is why cheapest price is not at the top of my list of priorities.

I've never had a claim, but after looking and talking to others, Haggerty seems to fit my needs. Their policy isn't just for parades or shows, like some are. Premiums are about the same as everyone else and I can deal through a local agent too.

I am just going to say that I had Grundy for awhile. The most pathetic experience with an insurance company possible. I have no idea how they are still in business.

I went with Hagerty - there is no comparison. Hagerty is just excellent by comparison and also based on friends I know that have had claims with them. No issues......................................

Hagerty for all of my classics. One minor claim that went smoothly with no questions asked.:thumbsup:

Condon Skelly , no claims yet, no restrictions, photo proof of where the car is stored. Agreed value.

I've been with American Collectors Insurance for a few years now. As at the time they were the only ones who would insure the Imperial as is.
The only time I had to make a claim was for my tow last summer. Claim was easy enough although, the guy on the other end of the line seemed to be a little condescending about the cost.

Grundy requires a late model car. It's so the classic doesn't become a daily driver. My daily is a 95 Dakota, was not new enough for them

Howdy Here are my two cents. First I had Grundy than Haggerty, now I have NCM Insurance, cheaper same coverage. They were very easy to deal with I like that they want to talk to you before they will cover you. I have two cars 70 Newport, 70 Charger soon to be three cars. I learned this trick many years ago. First ask for a quote than ignore the emails for 3/4 weeks than they will lower the quote. I hope that this helps.

Run from Hagerty as fast as your piece of mind will take you.

When you have a “serious” claim or theft of your vehicle, you will rue the day you paid them a dime. Then you’ll have to hire an attorney…..

Run from Hagerty as fast as your piece of mind will take you.

When you have a “serious” claim or theft of your vehicle, you will rue the day you paid them a dime. Then you’ll have to hire an attorney…..

I've had two major claims with Hagerty. One a total. and some minor claims throughout
the years. All were settled quickly and for the values of the policy's. No questions asked.

I can only guess you were underinsured or tried to pull a fast one,

I've been with JC Taylor since 1981. I'm very happy with them. They have accommodated me when needed and have had 3 claims, all settled quick and fair.

I've had two major claims with Hagerty. One a total. and some minor claims throughout
the years. All were settled quickly and for the values of the policy's. No questions asked.

I can only guess you were underinsured or tried to pull a fast one,

That’s quite a large assumption of my character on your part.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
I use Anpac Chrome. (American National) I bundle with my homeowners insurance and get a yearly refund, if there are no claims, large enough that my collector car insurance doesn't cost me anything. Agreed value, generous mileage restrictions, towing, and even a small amount for extra parts stored in the garage. The guys that own American National are Street Rodders so they know cars. Chrome - Classic Car Insurance from ANPAC - It's All in the Name! | Hotrod Hotline

Last edited:
I’ve been with Hagerty for 17 years , in that time I’ve only had 2 minor claims. They always took care of me right away and claims were processed quickly. Never had a problem.

The most important thing is to make sure you insure for “agreed value” in case of loss.

Hagerty’s basic contingencies require the owner to have an enclosed garage where the car is stored, cannot be parked/stored outside or in a car port. They will only pay out the agreed value if the car is stolen from your garage or involved in a fire. If the car is stolen because you left it unattended in a parking lot will not be covered. Other than parade use and car shows Hagerty does allow occasional leisurely use driving. For me this is enough, since I barely reach 1,500 miles a year on either of my cars.

I have American Collector's insurance. I made the phone call for a claim, but it was for minor flood on my Challenger water up to rocker panels, put on hold and never made the claim. Car cleaned up and fluids needed changed. I've got added mileage and commuter mile allowance.
Grundy was a joke they would not even write the car till it was "restored", yeah I'm going to take my survivor and restore it for your insurance, pfft.
Haggarty took to long to get back to me, so I went somewhere else. I'm sure now with more online these days they would be back to me right away.

If you do go with Hagerty on top of buying an “agreed value” policy I’d add their “cherished salvage” to the policy too. This allows you to keep your wrecked or damaged car after the accident to do with as you please. They cut you a check for the agreed value and you take your car home for parts or whatever. I have these in my policy’s .

The most important thing is to make sure you insure for “agreed value” in case of loss.

Hagerty’s basic contingencies require the owner to have an enclosed garage where the car is stored, cannot be parked/stored outside or in a car port. They will only pay out the agreed value if the car is stolen from your garage or involved in a fire. If the car is stolen because you left it unattended in a parking lot will not be covered. Other than parade use and car shows Hagerty does allow occasional leisurely use driving. For me this is enough, since I barely reach 1,500 miles a year on either of my cars.

So if you are driving on a weekend and get into an accident and the car is totaled, they wouldn't pay "agreed value"? With all the traffic out here in California, that is the scenario that is of most concern to me. There are plenty of idiot drivers and gawkers given the size of the population to make that a potential situation. I wouldn't store one of my collector cars in anything but an enclosed garage or leave it unattended in a parking lot - although if staying at a weekend show in out of town circumstances where you have no choice but to leave it in a parking lot at a hotel, if the car were vandalized or stolen, etc, they wouldn't cover it either?

It seems like if Hagerty were to default in such circumstances, for example, we would have all heard about it given their reputation and otherwise providing excellent service.

That is why I believe if one has had a poor experience, I would very much like to hear about it including the details.

Back