Classic Car Scene/Culture - Greater Boise, ID

rexus31

Reaction score
Boise has made the short list for a new place to call home sometime in the future. Can any members shed light on the classic car scene there? I was there on business a couple of weeks ago and had more daily classic car sightings "in the wild" in a few days than I get here in So Cal in a few weeks. I believe most people here limit their driving to and from shows because the roads are so congested and they fear getting into a collision. Anyway, can any member comment on Boise's classic car culture and the overall quality of life there?

The rising cost of living and over population in the San Gabriel Valley has really gotten me to think about spending the rest of my days here. I love the weather, my friends and the life style but it is not the So Cal from my youth and I'm only 48 years old! We can certainly afford to live here and are not struggling financially by any means, but it would be nice to keep more of our hard earned money and not continue to give it to a state whose political climate is a nut house at best. Boise is beautiful, affordable and not overcrowded. With the value of our small, 1,300 sq ft, 2BR 1BA home on a 7,500 sq ft lot close to, if not over $800K, we could damn near pay cash for a new custom home twice the size on a larger lot such as this one in one of Boise's wealthiest neighborhoods.

f450d70e6f0e3c7fc8dddd85e00a0b3a.jpg

3017 S Bergman Way, Eagle, ID 83616 Home for Sale

Definitely worth considering.

You could buy 5 wooded acres on our family farm in Ohio, build a custom 3,000 square foot home along with a 5,000 square foot barn for the price in Boise. :)

Plus at least one classis 300 just down the road.

Seems here lately Im seeing guys in SoCal looking at the Boise area

You could buy 5 wooded acres on our family farm in Ohio, build a custom 3,000 square foot home along with a 5,000 square foot barn for the price in Boise. :)

Plus at least one classis 300 just down the road.

I hear you, Mike. There are several reasons for considering Boise:

1. I can live anywhere in the 11 Western States for my job.
2. The weather. Even though it gets cold over the winter (23 degrees was the low last year), Spring and Summer are nice and Boise boasts lower humidity than the already arid Los Angeles Basin.
3. 250 days of sunshine per year.
4. Did I mention no humidity?
5. $500K-$600K is affordable for us based on the equity we have in our current home.

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful and affordable as well but I could not handle the extensive cloudiness and precipitation. Denver is nice but getting crowded as well although I really like Fort Collins. Salt Lake City isn't for me. Las Vegas and Phoenix are too hot; not a fan of New Mexico.

Boise checked off more of our boxes than any other city in the Western States we've considered.

Seems here lately Im seeing guys in SoCal looking at the Boise area

Lots of people I know are relocating somewhere.

What really pushed me over the edge was our dim witted governor wanting to give free healthcare to illegal immigrants when we have a 30,000+ homeless crisis in the state that really isn't being addressed let alone dealt with. You can't make this up. There is no end in sight to the Democratic dominance in the sate and people are tired of it.

Last edited:
The secret is out.! Unless I just walk away and leave now the prices will be impossible for me to get there and I'm trying to get in the lesser known area.

The problem with Californians moving to other states is MOST try and make it like where they are from and don't assimilate. Much like immigrants coming to the US.
I've spoken with many realtors and lenders in the gem state and They see it everyday.

The secret is out.! Unless I just walk away and leave now the prices will be impossible for me to get there and I'm trying to get in the lesser known area.

The problem with Californians moving to other states is MOST try and make it like where they are from and don't assimilate. Much like immigrants coming to the US.
I've spoken with many realtors and lenders in the gem state and They see it everyday.

Most all I know that are leaving are in search of what California once was which is what Idaho currently is. That's why it is appealing. If we move there it will be because it is different from where we came from.

I bought my 70 Sport Fury in Boise last year so there’s one less classic there now.
I had been to the area a couple times before and bought parts from a couple local Mopar enthusiasts who had a couple cars each so there’s definitely some cars out there.
Boise is also home to Firebird Raceway so there’s a drag racing scene out there as well.

I actual have friends from Ohio that moved to the Boise area about 3-4 years ago. He was originally from Orange county CA. They couldn't be happier. Good luck on you decision.

Most all I know that are leaving are in search of what California once was which is what Idaho currently is. That's why it is appealing. If we move there it will be because it is different from where we came from.

Believe me, I understand. The idea is sound. However in speaking to the people who have the most interactions with the influx of out of staters witness the trend. Boise and Couer D'alene are both popular landing spots especially for Californians. Many native Idahoans resent the migration and I don't blame them.
Their population has doubled in a short period and freedoms eroded.

When I visit there ( at least 4 times a year) I make it clear I want to assimilate and become an Idahoan .
You can find videos on YouTube on the issue.

I've seen very few old cars cruising the roads there. Yet, I've seen a lot come out of Idaho.

Believe me, I understand. The idea is sound. However in speaking to the people who have the most interactions with the influx of out of staters witness the trend. Boise and Couer D'alene are both popular landing spots especially for Californians. Many native Idahoans resent the migration and I don't blame them.
Their population has doubled in a short period and freedoms eroded.

When I visit there ( at least 4 times a year) I make it clear I want to assimilate and become an Idahoan .
You can find videos on YouTube on the issue.

I've seen very few old cars cruising the roads there. Yet, I've seen a lot come out of Idaho.

Our desire is to assimilate where ever we land. That's one of the biggest issues I have with our current living situation in So Cal. IMO, the bigger immigrant problem locally are immigrants from China. My biggest issue with the Chinese is they have NO desire to be Americans. They want to take over and make it Chinese. Almost all the local businesses here now have Asian (Chinese/Vietnamese) signage. IMO, our overcrowded streets have less to do with Latino immigrants and more to do with those of Asian decent. At least the Latinos know how to drive! Those coming from China have money to buy real estate which qualifies them for residency:

For sale: U.S. citizenship, $500,000 to $1 million

I'd much rather deal with poor Latinos that are interested in becoming "Americans" than wealthy Asians who think they are better than everyone else and have ZERO intention of being "American". There is a whole marketing campaign in China advertising "The 626" (our area code) as a destination due to the large number of Chinese immigrants already living here. There's a cottage industry whereby pregnant Chinese women can he housed and cared for locally until their babies are born here thus becoming citizens. There was a news story about such a "business" the next town over from me! I'd wager there are just as many Asians here illegally than there are of Latin decent.

Under the current climate all of this makes me a racist, propagating my "white privilege". It's to the point where I am done it. I was in the grocery line recently where a young Asian couple were checking out in from of me. I started to get upset when I saw them hand over their WIC coupons. Here we have two able bodied young adults, nicely dressed on public assistance. The best part was seeing them put their groceries in their new Mercedes SUV (still had dealer plates on it).

The older I get, the more I understand Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down.

Last edited:
I saw Falling Down in the theatre upon its release. Made perfect sense then and more now .

The Chinese are trying to buy the whole country it seems . Go to Yellowstone and you'll see tour bus after tour bus of Asian tours and they have no regard for the few rules and guidelines the park has. Example, don't go near the Elk, yet they try to hand feed them while getting pictures or stay behind the rails and on the walks at the geothermal features yet they disregard like they are entitled .

From someone on the opposite coast I understand your pain as I endure here.. but most of our problem is the Arabs .

You have chosen my landing spot

Have you visited in the Winter? If so, how are the colder months?

We visit Eastern Idaho. (Family) Boise is too crowded for me. I see it being like Denver in 20 years.

I was there last in mid March and before that the first weekend of January. Winters last longer than here. I have noticed from experience plus looking at weather info all averages are similar to Jersey plus or minus a couple.

If you follow rt 20 in the East Island Park this year had record snow fall. 20 minutes south in Ashton there was footage on the ground in March. 20 more minutes south in Saint Anthony they had a foot or so laying on the grass but piles 4 ft high at the walks. As I traveled south it dwindled and was gone in another 50 minutes ( Idaho falls).

Boise is almost another climate as it is four hours from family . I only visit there passing through.

I go back in August for 10 days.

We visit Eastern Idaho. (Family) Boise is too crowded for me. I see it being like Denver in 20 years.

I was there last in mid March and before that the first weekend of January. Winters last longer than here. I have noticed from experience plus looking at weather info all averages are similar to Jersey plus or minus a couple.

If you follow rt 20 in the East Island Park this year had record snow fall. 20 minutes south in Ashton there was footage on the ground in March. 20 more minutes south in Saint Anthony they had a foot or so laying on the grass but piles 4 ft high at the walks. As I traveled south it dwindled and was gone in another 50 minutes ( Idaho falls).

Boise is almost another climate as it is four hours from family . I only visit there passing through.

I go back in August for 10 days.

Thanks. i don't think Boise gets that much snow from the limited research I've done.

I don't think it does. As i sit here I believe it is part of the desert plateau that is in much of the southern part of the state . With all the mountain ranges Idaho has there is plenty of snow to be found. A favorite spot of mine the Sawtooth mountains have snow on them all year. They are near the town of Stanley in the Stanley basin which has been called the coldest place in the country.
15611091837032115112161001.jpg
156184270151962749511001.jpg

Snowing on June 20th and of course a beautiful sunny 80 degree day on the 29th .

If you get a chance go on a horseback ride through the Sawtooths ....

Oregon is a hot destination spot for California folks seeking a refuge from insanity. Problem is these idiots vote for the same type of political nut jobs who messed up California in the first place. We now even have 2 Ex Californians in our state legislature. Both nut jobs, never met a climate bill or gun control bill they did not like and they even sponsored most of them. Also supporting giving drivers licenses to illegals, much higher taxes etc. Oregon is gradually going to hell and there does not seem to be any way to stop it as Liberal Democrats now have super majorities on both legislative chambers and an especially dimwitted governor.

Dave

Oregon is a hot destination spot for California folks seeking a refuge from insanity. Problem is these idiots vote for the same type of political nut jobs who messed up California in the first place. We now even have 2 Ex Californians in our state legislature. Both nut jobs, never met a climate bill or gun control bill they did not like and they even sponsored most of them. Also supporting giving drivers licenses to illegals, much higher taxes etc. Oregon is gradually going to hell and there does not seem to be any way to stop it as Liberal Democrats now have super majorities on both legislative chambers and an especially dimwitted governor.

Dave

That is exactly my point of transforming the host state into what you fled from.
Assimilation is key ...

I hear you, Mike. There are several reasons for considering Boise:

1. I can live anywhere in the 11 Western States for my job.
2. The weather. Even though it gets cold over the winter (23 degrees was the low last year), Spring and Summer are nice and Boise boasts lower humidity than the already arid Los Angeles Basin.
3. 250 days of sunshine per year.
4. Did I mention no humidity?
5. $500K-$600K is affordable for us based on the equity we have in our current home.

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful and affordable as well but I could not handle the extensive cloudiness and precipitation. Denver is nice but getting crowded as well although I really like Fort Collins. Salt Lake City isn't for me. Las Vegas and Phoenix are too hot; not a fan of New Mexico.

Boise checked off more of our boxes than any other city in the Western States we've considered.
Looks like a good list of reasons to say good bye to CA.

Back