Classic classifieds

Rustyrodknocker

Reaction score
So,
I have been wanting to post some old adds but have not got around to getting pictures until today. If they work anyway.

This started when I got to thinking about all the classifieds I read as a kid. I still read them today. On the internet.
When I was in high school the auto trader books were the absolute thing.
They came out on thursdays and they were 25 cents. Every car guy had one in his hand with his text book.
I would get Hemmings when I could after high school. At the time I thought I was going to go mak money and buy a couple cars. Specifically a Hemi Cuda and an A12 Super Bee.
That was shortly before I came domesticated.
Well. I got to wondering if my memory was accurate. BecauseI thought that I believed they were attainable for an 18 year old.

So I bought some old copies. They are what I remember. I was really only paying attention to B and E bodies back then. I am surprised now when I look at the C's and Forward look era. Many were higher than the muscle cars.
20200512_190733.jpg
20200512_190924.jpg

85. Still was a lot of money at the time. But closer for many than now.

I was pretty simple minded and unrefined in the day. A kid that most people probably thought was going nowhere. At the time I was will to justify a couple of years worth of work on the road for a car. I could not justify that now. But if I did, I could still have one hell of a car. Probably not a Hemi Cuda. But the A12 would be doable. They only sell for as much as I paid for my house.
20200512_192544.jpg
20200512_192629.jpg

I have a 1986 Muscle Car Price Guide published by Car Review Magazine, 1969 Hemi Daytona in restored condition 1 valued at $20K, in the same condition '69 Hemi Charger $10,500. They listed the '70-'71 Hemi 'Cuda convertible at $35K in condition 1.

I can still remember some of the rides I used to see for sale or even go to look at in the late '70s - early '80s. Being in southwestern Pennsylvania a lot of them were rusty or had been hacked up pretty good. There were some decent ones though that were still out of reach because of what I was earning at the time. I always would have to sell what I had first to get the money to buy something else. No financial backing from family members was available. I found the Fury in '82 just up from North Carolina. It was what I was looking for, and for $700, was what I could afford. After I sold my '71 Monte Carlo of course. I have to laugh when I think that the Fury was just a 14 year old used car when I bought it.

Great points and I can relate for sure. I was mathematically farther away from most of the mopars then. Now I just can't justify it.
I had no backing also and only once ever asked my father for a loan. It was around 96'. There was a 68 charger factory 383 4spd b5 repainted to black still blue interior. It sat outside the minimart every day for $3500. I had a good job at a mill but not the cash. Dad may not have even had it. I don"t know.
He said no. If it was a lack of food or rent money he said he would help.
I was on a different plane. I could provide for myself, this was way more important, and I've seen people live in smaller cars!
He also could not understand why anyone would pay any money for a damned old dodge.

In the early 2000's a local guy with a hemi 68 gtx reminded me that the desirable mopars were always desirable.
He paid $4500 for it as a ten year old used car. Also factory B5 in black with blue inside.
It was a ton of money for him and also what it sold for new. He said he could not afford it then or now. In over 20 years he could not afford to get it back to B5. That was his goal. I have not seen it in 15 years. He probably took the money.

20200512_192339.jpg

French 4 speed? Never heard of it.

French 4 speed? Never heard of it.

I think there were 7 of them built.

Pont-à-Mousson (named for the town in France and the eponymous company there that built it), the all-synchromesh four-speed was originally designed for the Facel Vega.

Interesting, I am not familiar with French cars. My knowledge of the started and stopped with the Le Car. When I seen 3 lug nuts I pretty much discounted French motor vehicles.
I have just recently started learning about Citroen after getting into the Cold War motors channels. Prior to that they were always that sucky car in Richard Dryfus had in American Graffiti. However I am learning that they are very intriguing.

Facel Vega FVS - Wikipedia

Back