Clay bar to remove clear overspray

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It got cold in Ohio and put the top and windows up for the first time. I still had some over spray from the clear coat applied over a year ago. I had used a non-abrasive rubbing compound but it was hard work and never got all of it off the glass.

I discovered today my clay bar made easy work of it. I think any clay bar would work but mine is a Mothers product. Spray a lubricant, rub the clay and off it comes. It is nearly as easy as washing your windows. What is nice is how smooth the glass is after you are done.

I will be doing this on my front window on a regular bases to clean off all the stubborn bug guts.

Clay does wonders on paint as well. I have some hard water spots on my glass and this has me wondering if the clay bar will remove them. Thanks.

I bet it will take the water spots out. They take them out of the chrome.

I'm at work for a couple more weeks, but I'll report back when I find out.

I have clay barred paint, and it's amazing what it removes from a brand new car. The paint feels like glass to the touch afterwords.

IS this the kind of clay bar your are referring to??
brique-rouge-dessus-669182.jpg

I was kidding.. I wondered who would chime in on this to correct me. You win a prize!

I often wonder who invented or discovered rubbing clay onto your paint job would fix and not destroy...

While you are on a cleaning subject, I never ceases to amaze me how many people think
they have a nice looking paint finish but under bright light the coating is full of haze and
swirl marks not to mention angel hair. Few people see the advantage in spending $300
on a good polisher like a Flex or profession products like those from Poor Boys World.
My car has not been washed ( in the conventional sense ) in four years, instead I use
a dry wash solution followed by a detailler's spray. I never use any cloths other than
Micro Fiber and that's two cloths per panel - one for application, one for removal.
Once a year I use a light cut polishing compound followed by an application of glazing
compound followed by a quality wax. Products purchased from Auto Zone or Pep
Boy's just doesn't cut it. For a quality look on all finishes ( paint, leather, chrome,
vinyl etc.) you need to start with quality products. You get what you pay for. Not
advertising here but ask the guys with the finely detailed cars what they use and
you'll be surprised what they pay for a can of wax.

Guess I should stop buying my Griot's and Lexol products at pepboys, I didn't realize it's an inferior product.

Back