Clean up Firewall?

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m in the middle of having my 65 Polara Restored. We had it chem dipped a while back and I was looking at the pictures of the firewall and I think there are way too many holes for what is needed. I get the wiper motor holes.... but has anyone smoothed out their firewall?

What "too many holes" are you referring to? Just curious. As unless it's a drain hole for the cowl air intake area, or similar, no OEM put "holes" into a metal panel that weren't needed (added labor operations and assembly $$$) or could not be plugged with a plastic plug if not needed (option content). In THAT orientation. the only real "option" that might affect the firewall/cowl area would be factory a/c or radio antenna cable holes?

The other thing is that you could spend a good bit of time to discover that particular "hole" was needed, after all. The plastic drain plugs can probably be found via the Mopar restoration industry. Some or most common with B-bodies, I suspect.

As you probably noted, the firewall/cowl is painted body color in the same level of gloss.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Interesting, on my ‘68 Polara with no a/c, I believe there are only two holes left that required plugs. The hole for a clutch linkage and for extra gauges Or cruise control I believe.

Any pictures of your clean firewall?

I had the same concern in my ‘70, but as it turned out, there are holes in the firewall for the plastic fasteners for the under dash insulation. Some is glued but there are cardboard backed panels around the brake pedal, steering column and the heater core box.

Back