Cleaning interior metal

Marian

Reaction score
I'm new here and a bit frustrated. Car is at shop and my homework assignment is to clean, polish the interior molding. It's mostly stainless steel. I've tried nevr dull. No luck. Then blue magic with polish wheel on drill. Didn't get out the rust pocks. Or what ever they are called. Perhaps what I see is what I'll get. Just thought I could get it cleaner and smoother that this. If someone out there has a better idea..I'm all ears. Please remember, I'm new to this and being a woman (surprise), I was hoping for more. (Ugghh, just heard what you were thinking) :) I don't care what you recommend, I'll try it. Please don't view and not respond...any help whatsoever will be appreciated! I'll even invite ya over for some Jamison's. Now that's some serious desperation.

Thanks,
Marian

Last edited:
Firstly,:welcome:. If it is stainless and if it is only slightly scuffed, you can wet sand the trim. Depending on how badly scratched it is, the starting grit may be 600 or 800 working progressively to a finer grit and finishing with a 2000 grit. Then the polishing wheel comes out for the finale. It can make a mirror out of your trim. Here is are links to a polishing and repair video series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTxR8LB9iek&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1iY08HU7w&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWy9awGv6so&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited:
Hey Marian, welcome to the site from the Motor City! If it is stainless, 300rag has got you covered.
I have a lot of chrome plated trim in my `67 Imperial and Never Dull cleans it like new.
Show us what you got!
BTW, I like that you know what we're thinking!

More rust marks than scratches. I first used nevrdull...didn't work. Then used metal polish cream by blue magic with polishing wheel. Cleaned it up some but rough to the feel with less noticeable marks. Thanks for responding!

I like Mothers aluminum/mag wheel polish. you can use VERY fine steel woll with it. MPJ

Happy Saturday

Vacation is over. Back to second job. Restoring interior trim. I've watched the videos. (Thanks 300rag). I'm very good at accepting advise. I'm wondering, do I buy a bench grinder/polisher. Hand held grinder/polisher. If so , what type? I know most of you are experienced in restoration and I regret that I am not. The only way to gain experience is by being guided. That's what I am looking for. I have tried 600 grit but it does not take out rust "pox". I'll be trying to use more "true grit" today. (Yup, John Wayne initiative...what can I say..I'm a Texan") Will try to attach pic of what I am working with. 2012-07-14 10.26.28.jpg2012-07-14 10.26.46.jpg

2012-07-14 10.26.28.jpg

2012-07-14 10.26.46.jpg

Ok, I'm not ready for a divorce. Husband and I have different logics in cleaning up this stuff. He is wonderful and bought me a makita grinder. Tonight we tried to use a sisel (sp) brush with metal cleaner. Did not work to well. Should we buy a bench grinder/polisher. Would someone please tell me if I need to hand sand or buy something that will sand/polish. At this point I don't care what I have to buy. I want to stay married!

For me that's purty bad though I'm sure others have seen far worse. If it were mine, I'd be wet sanding (with sandpaper) at about 500 grit and moving up the ladder to about 1500-2000 grit. Then polish. The trim is thin and shouldn't/wouldn't take much at all so go slow and light. Although I don't know if you'll ever get all of it out.

Ok, I'm not ready for a divorce. Husband and I have different logics in cleaning up this stuff. He is wonderful and bought me a makita grinder. Tonight we tried to use a sisel (sp) brush with metal cleaner. Did not work to well. Should we buy a bench grinder/polisher. Would someone please tell me if I need to hand sand or buy something that will sand/polish. At this point I don't care what I have to buy. I want to stay married!
Bench grinder is better for stability. Let's you use two hands to support your pieces.

I would take it down smooth with steel wool. Then polish it clean with autosol. I have been real happy with there products. They have won 3 gold awards and are the only polish used in the Smithsonian museum. I would start with oo steel wool, move up to 01 then 02. and wash real clean with mild soap and water then let the polish clean off the rest. Here's the link to autosol. I have bought from this seller twice, and the are in austin Texas. I live close to San Antonio,Tx Jason

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autosol-Met...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f15867c90&vxp=mtr

Back