Cleaning up a 74 Radiator

jason99

Reaction score
Since I struck out on finding anyone who makes a replacement small block radiator for a 74 I bought a used one from the only place I could find one (with no warranty on the core), www.cbodies.com for $100.

Shot of the rear of the radiator.
IMG_0716.jpg

Front picture.
IMG_0717.jpg

Hit the spots I could with a wire wheel and a polycarbonate abrasive pad on the angle grinder.
IMG_0719.jpg

Now sitting in a 1 inch bath of Metal Rescue. I'll probably let it sit like this for a day or so and change the position to try and soak more.
IMG_0721.jpg

Whatever spots are left rusty I'll hit with either Metal Rescue gel or Krud Kutter rust removing gel.

Once it's cleaned up I'll spray can it with something to keep it in good shape while I try to find someone to recore it.

-Jason

The rad shop that recores here paint it up nice as part of their service. Might be wise to ask in case they reverse your work when they start.

The rad shop that recores here paint it up nice as part of their service. Might be wise to ask in case they reverse your work when they start.

I didn’t think about that. If you’ve ever gotten a radiator recored, how much did it cost?

I've never gotten a recored radiator back needing paint but that doesn't mean they did a pretty job even if it was all one color.. I had one done last year, a 22 inch 3 row for my 65 Polara with A/C - cost me 400 for the new core and 300 to have it installed.

First thing, have it “boiled” at a local radiator shop that recores radiators... looking at around 80$... they will pressure test it and let you know what it needs, from there.

Although, I just realized, they can’t “boil” aluminum cores.... bad reactions happen.

Back