Clock calibration

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided I wanted to calibrate the mechanical clock I had rebuilt last year in Goldie. It was gaining about a minute a day. That wouldn't be so bad but you can only advance the time when setting clock, so a minute slower would be better.

I hooked it up to a trickle charger and set it to the atomic clock on my phone. The second picture I circled the tab on the calibration adjusting wheel. Moving it to the left, as it is positioned, slows it down. There is quite an area of adjustment we will see how it goes.
Clock calibration.jpg
Clock adjustment.jpg

The clocks are self regulating. As I understand it, that adjustment is a coarse adjustment to get the clock "close".

Believe it or not... If you set your clock back (or ahead) to the correct time every day, the clock will be no longer losing time within a week or so. I've done this for years. In fact the clock in my 300 was off about 5 minutes a day when I got it back from being repaired. It keeps almost perfect time now. I just kept resetting it every day until it started keeping time.

The clocks are self regulating. As I understand it, that adjustment is a coarse adjustment to get the clock "close".

Believe it or not... If you set your clock back (or ahead) to the correct time every day, the clock will be no longer losing time within a week or so. I've done this for years. In fact the clock in my 300 was off about 5 minutes a day when I got it back from being repaired. It keeps almost perfect time now. I just kept resetting it every day until it started keeping time.

Interesting. It may just be a viscous cycle for me. I disconnect the battery when ever I don't drive it for a while. It was fast all last year so I need to at least slow it down a bit.

Where can I find a clock knob? I have 4 clocks but none have a knob...

Where can I find a clock knob? I have 4 clocks but none have a knob...
Ebay. Search "Mopar clock knob".

I know they repop the B body knob and that will probably fit, but may not be the correct style... It might be close enough though. You might get lucky and find a NOS or used one too.

Be sure to get the screw too.

Big John I will admit I thought you were full of **** about the clocks being self regulating, but after a whole summer of driving and resetting it about once a week, my clock has been dead on for 2 weeks straight.

It is not like it is jumping around either. It has been fast all summer but slowing getting better with each adjustment.

Sorry I doubted you. :)

Big John I will admit I thought you were full of **** about the clocks being self regulating, but after a whole summer of driving and resetting it about once a week, my clock has been dead on for 2 weeks straight.

It is not like it is jumping around either. It has been fast all summer but slowing getting better with each adjustment.

Sorry I doubted you. :)
If it helps, I am slow to put my faith in others too... This group has really helped me with that.

Back