Clock clean and repair attempt

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This was on my list of things to do this winter. If anyone missed his post, mcmlvii posted his cleaning on this site. https://sites.google.com/site/1966sportfury383/home/clock-repair

Using his post as inspiration, I removed the clock from the dash this weekend and made an initial diagnosis. The mechanical clock itself does not will work, so I have no idea about the electric portion yet. There is nothing broken so it must be the gunk keeping it from working.

Clock out of dash.jpgFace.jpg
back.jpg

back.jpg

Face.jpg

Clock out of dash.jpg

I think it's rare to have a working original and if two or three people pipe up and say there's is working I would still call it rare. I had mine converted to a Quartz movement and is on the list of things I will never have to revisit.

I am a bit of a clock nut. Mechanical clocks and watches are my favorite. The Borg clock fascinates me and would love to get it working. I'm hoping I am successful and I realize even if I am it may be temporary. I like mcmlvii approach, of not using a quick shot with a electronic cleaner.

In the event of being unsuccessful, where did you buy your quartz conversion Matt? I always try to have a plan B.

That's really cool. The clock.... A fun winter project. Some folks overlook that stuff. The details and components of the mechanism are impressive. Thanks for sharing that post.

Did they actually repair or convert it to a quartz? if they repaired it how long has it been running since the repair?

They repaired it. I like the tick-tick of the second hand, so I didn't do a quartz conversion.

I just got it back a couple weeks ago and it hasn't been powered up yet, so I have nothing to tell you about that. Turn around was just under two weeks with shipping.

I have an extra clock that I wanted to see if I could get it working. I disassembled and washed down the entire gear works with WD-40. Let the excess drip off and connected to a 12 volt dc power supply. It started to tick away. I let it run for about a month or so on the bench. It's been about a year or so since I disconnected it. I can try it when I get home from work and give an update if it still runs. You may want to clean the points up.

The problem with WD-40 is it contains a gummy lubricant that remains after the solvent carrier evaporates. I've have read many places that it's a paraffin base lubricant.

That gummy paraffin causes all kinds of problems.

We've repaired hundreds of dial indicators/calipers/micrometers and quite often the cure for whatever was sticking was to clean the WD-40 (or Starrett M1) residue that some misguided soul had applied and oil it sparingly with the proper oil.

If you don't believe me, ask a good gunsmith about WD-40. They will tell you to never use it.

They do make some cleaners just for clock movements.

Hey Zymurgy, I hope you're successful in your endeavor! Just make a mental note of where everything goes and be gentle putting it back together. I'd cleaned pocket watches and simpler mechanical wrist watches in my younger years (my grandfather was a watch repairman in the 40s - I must have inherited it from him), so for me it was natural to clean the clock in my car. I don't have steady enough hands anymore (hereditary) to tackle watches but can still manage to do a clock like this.

it's funny that you mention the steady hands. I started looking at all the pieces in my hands are not very steady anymore and my eye sight for detailed not so great either. I decided to use Clock Works that big John used to do mine.

Mine runs really fast for some reason and makes a loud clunk once and awhile. I have a new OEM sitting in a box, never been used, I hope does work. I was lucky to find it for 75.00.

Mine runs really fast for some reason and makes a loud clunk once and awhile. I have a new OEM sitting in a box, never been used, I hope does work. I was lucky to find it for 75.00.

If the clunk you hear is every 1-1/2 minutes or so, it's the mainspring winding.

If the clunk you hear is every 1-1/2 minutes or so, it's the mainspring winding.

Call me a geek but I just find that so cool that it winds itself ever minute and a half. Maybe not the smartest thing for longevity of the clock, but still cool.

I like to hear the main spring wind too.

As funny as this may seem... It's a sound that I remember from one of my Dad's cars when I was a kid.

The contacts for the main spring will sometimes burn out when the battery in the car goes dead. There isn't enough power to wind the clock, but there is enough power to burn the contacts when the winder doesn't move. I'm putting a switch on mine for when the car is stored for extended periods.

I'd use DeoxIT D5 which is made for cleaning metal to metal connections and contacts. They have one for plastic to plastic and plastic to metal connections also. This stuff get used by everyone who is working on older stereo equipment to clean up the pots. I just used to today on a 1970 Panasonic clock radio with the flip time indicator as the volume and tone controls were all scratchy when turned. Turned out beautifully just like it did on a Harmon Kardan 330B receiver I did 6 months ago.

Another damn good thread gents.

Here's a copy of an inquiry e-mail regarding clock refurbishing. Did it myself, totally pleased, easy to do. The mechanism was used for many years and models. Your's looks exactly like mine.

The quartz movement kit for your Borg clock is $109.95. We accept MC/Visa/Discover and Paypal.

Jerry
Ph: 715-479-5759

WWW.CLOCKWKS.COM

Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 3:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 65 Fury replacement quartz clock movement

I would like to purchase a DIY quartz clock movement for my classic car which is a 1965 Plymouth
Fury. The current movement is a Borg. The time adjusting shaft is 1" on center away from the center
of the post for the hands and at the very bottom of the clock. If you have such a movement could
you please email me back with the price and any other details.

Here's a copy of an inquiry e-mail regarding clock refurbishing. Did it myself, totally pleased, easy to do. The mechanism was used for many years and models. Your's looks exactly like mine.

The quartz movement kit for your Borg clock is $109.95. We accept MC/Visa/Discover and Paypal.

Jerry
Ph: 715-479-5759

WWW.CLOCKWKS.COM

Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 3:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 65 Fury replacement quartz clock movement

I would like to purchase a DIY quartz clock movement for my classic car which is a 1965 Plymouth
Fury. The current movement is a Borg. The time adjusting shaft is 1" on center away from the center
of the post for the hands and at the very bottom of the clock. If you have such a movement could
you please email me back with the price and any other details.

Mine is on my way to you Jerry to have the original clock refurbished. Good to know about the do it yourself quartz too.

Back