Cloud cars..

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My younger son bought a '99 Dodge Stratus tonight. Nice sedan with 103K on it. Local car since new. Everything but leather and sunroof. New tires, timing belt service at 77K, 17" wheels off an SRT Neon. Champagne in color. Bought off a friend a mile away, who is the second owner. Icy cold air, drives right, tracks straight. Everything works. Plus, my friend is having it detailed so my son will have an ultra-clean car by the weekend.
received_314590519932416.jpeg

BTW. The '58 Chrysler in the background is for sale for $3,000. Runs and drives, has the one-year-only RB383. Nice interior, chrome, body and glass. It's that late '50s Chrysler lilac/white combo. He's got additional bits that go with. Message me for more info.

Last edited:
The Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus were very neat cars! ALSO the only cars to beat a similar Honda in CAR AND DRIVER's comparison test, where the Chrysler beat the Honda by ONE POINT! Quite a deal as C&D seemed to look at everything through "Honda-colored glasses" back then.

Chry 4cyl or Mitsu V-6? Just curious. I was quite surprised at how well the Chry 4-cyl worked in those cars, plus the better fuel economy, compared to the prior V-6s I'd rented. BTAIM

Congrats!
CBODY67

I had a '98 Stratus. First and only brand new car I ever had. I loved it.

The only issue was I had a 5 speed and they shared the trans with the Neon and it was a little undersized for the car. I had to replace the trans and the guy I sold it to said the trans was on its last legs again when it turned over 200k miles. For the last year or so, they had a notched 2x4 that they would slide into place against the shifter to hold it in 5th gear when they got on the highway.

Both my sons learned to drive in that car.

Oh... and I first looked at the car at night.... Looked like a nice dark blue to me. Went to pick it up and it was purple. I didn't think it was the same car.

Plymouth Breeze as well, at least in Canada (not sure if it was available Stateside).

The Plymouth Breeze was in the USA fleet for Dollar Car Rental, back then. VERY available in the USA. Interesting how they differentiated the Plymouth version with special color/trim options.

That platform was just about the right size. Bigger than a Neon, smaller than an LH.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I loved my 99 Sebring Convertible ,same platform (sort of) as the Stratus unlike the Sebring Coupe that was on the smaller platform.

Alan

This has the 2.4l. auto. It's got the window sticker and all the sales and ownership docs in the glove box. It was bought locally as new. No cig burns, no smoke, no funky smells, no noises. I'm surprised how tight and rattle-free this little Dodge is. Drew says he gets 22 mpg average city/highway combined, and has got 29 on highway runs. Hell, if I didn't have my car, I'd have bought it for me!

My son had a '15 VW Passat before this. Got rear-ended by a drunk doing 55 mph, he was sitting still at a red light. So, this is his first car since the accident, back in Nov '19. He's just at the point now where he can work. Jacked him up pretty bad. Waiting to see what his lawyer is able to extract from that drunk broads' insurance.

That amethyst was one of my favourite colours on those.
Hey Peter. Have Graham mix you up a 1/2 pint of 50X50 PPG 5246 Amethyst Pearlcoat & 4043 Black Cherry Pearlcoat and see what you think. Ask Mario to shoot you the pix of my '83 Plymouth GT Scamp and you will probably love that Plum Crazy mix az much az I do. Hope we can all make it to Carlisle next July. Raise our Long Necks and shake handz like we're supposed to, Jer

This has the 2.4l. auto. It's got the window sticker and all the sales and ownership docs in the glove box. It was bought locally as new. No cig burns, no smoke, no funky smells, no noises. I'm surprised how tight and rattle-free this little Dodge is. Drew says he gets 22 mpg average city/highway combined, and has got 29 on highway runs. Hell, if I didn't have my car, I'd have bought it for me!

My son had a '15 VW Passat before this. Got rear-ended by a drunk doing 55 mph, he was sitting still at a red light. So, this is his first car since the accident, back in Nov '19. He's just at the point now where he can work. Jacked him up pretty bad. Waiting to see what his lawyer is able to extract from that drunk broads' insurance.
You have no Idea how much PAIN & SUFFERING CAN GET YOUR SON, PLUS THATS A 3 POINT TICKET AND THAT RANKS RITE DOWN THERE WITH DUI.

I owned 2 LH cars - an Intrepid and an LHS. The clouds are 7/8 scale LH cars, basically. Like the difference between a Passat and a Jetta. This will make him a fine car until he can afford a newer car from the settlement.

His VW saved his life! The fact the rear window wasn't broke out, speaks to the great design of the Passat. It's a shame it got totaled. The repair estimate was $16,400. Crazy. I'm glad he was in that car...it really did its job! That makes me even more of a fan of my Passat. Tough to beat 40 mpg@80 mph, gotta tell ya!

Last edited:
My 98 Sebring convert had the six which still felt kinda underpowered imo and never got much over 30 mpg. I have had many rentals with the four that ran just as well, at least around town, and got better mileage. They only struggled up looong grades like I-75 through Ken & Tenn.

The six in my car also had issues with oil pan leaks. Once repaired under warranty, once out my pocket. Repair involves dropping the trans and many $$$$s.

Back