Clunk in the rearend

Kelgar50

Reaction score
So the other day I hop in the Polara to go for a drive. Well I put the car in reverse and hear a ping from the rear end. So out of curiosity I back down the driveway and put the car in drive to hear a clunk clunk clunk noise. That's not good.
So I'm off work today and decided I better look into it and this is what I found.

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

Or a Mini Spool But that wouldn't be that Smart and I don't even know where to get one for a 8 3/4.

Alright I will lay the cheap on you, use this if you like. I don't care how bad of an idea anybody thinks this is it works, so don't wear out your keyboards telling me all about it, we all know the correct solution.
Your roll pin sheared off and your carrier is wiped out where the pin rocks, so what have you got to lose and this will buy you time to find a new center ect.. Get the pin pushed back up into its hole better(off the ring gear) figure out which way the pin moves under forward motion usually the direction of the most smashed. Once you get the pin kind of located where it should be weld it in place. Put a bead all the way around each circle to hold the pin in place. The ring gear can still be taken off if you choose to put a different carrier in this center but you will never get the side or spider gears back not that you will want then anyway.

Actually my plan for now is to hit the wreaking yard and try to find a complete third member. Would be nice if I can score a sure grip.

So I have looked through the wreaking yards with no luck. I did find that pick your part has a complete 66 Polara 2 door there but supposedly it is on hold.
So since I go past Summit Racing in Sparks alot in my work travels I have decided that I'm going to stop by this week and pick up a Auburn pro series for it. Any body have any experience with using one of theses units? I have a friend with one in a blown 65 chevelle and he likes it.

Actually my plan for now is to hit the wreaking yard and try to find a complete third member. Would be nice if I can score a sure grip.

Cheapest, simplest solution is to just buy the whole assembly used even take the springs and just roll on the trailer...

Crap forgot what decade we're in. I haven't seen anything close in a do it yourself yard around here... and the smaller operators seem to crush everything pretty quick.

Well Christmas came early for me.
Depending on work I should have the Polara back on the road by the end of the weekend.

IMAG0359.jpg

Bearings, seals, mandatory. Optional: shocks, bushings and/or brakes if they're anything other than serviceable and the budget allows. I don't break out the jack stands for fun anymore.

- dad

Well, I thought the R&P was going to be reusable I fixed the chipped pinion tooth then pulled the ring gear to find 3 broke teeth in different spots.
Now I have to decide go back with 3.23 or go to 3.55. The car is used for cruising and going out of town from time to time.
Any suggestions?

Back