Collector Hot Wheels?

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello c-body hive mind. I recently had a baby boy and I wanted to get him started on cars early. So I was thinking of getting him on nice hot wheel (or similar) a year that would be a wall ornament. I want them to be collectible in the future and will get him el cheapo hot wheels once he is old enough to play. The thing is, I don’t even know where to start when it comes to hot wheels. Any suggestions?

NOTHING NEWER IS COLLECTIBLE/VALUABLE.. BUY REDLINES FROM THE 60'S AND 70'S

Johnny Lightening has the best looking cars of that size imo..

When my boy's were young we bought a Hot Wheels car every time we were at Walmart. At the time they were only a buck. I am not much on what is collectible though.

Different subject, how's your car coming? Is it still at Radloff's?

I started life with those English Matchbox cars (made in Lesney), then in 1968 not long after I turned 6, Hot Wheels were introduced, and that was all I needed, end of story where toys were concerned. I have always blamed my "advanced case of mad car disease" on the Mattell corporation.

Of course, by the early 70's I graduated to Aurora Thunderjet slot cars..... but that's another story.

Find a couple of nice "red line" cars for the future. When he actually starts to play with them, get the Johnny Lightning; they make a nice, "playable" facsimile...…..

Good luck with your new boy, take him for lots of rides in your c-body.

Hi I have about 200 matchbox cars I like the regular wheels and the grey wheels. When I retired from the nypd I started a second job as a bomb dog handler and was making very good money so I smartly LOL invested y new found wealth in my lionel trains and matchbox cars. I only bought nos unplayed with in original box. They were pretty costly but no wear near the cost of the Hot Wheels. The price of some of those red lines are amazing as kids if we only knew. The old matchbox my mom used to buy me as a little boy and my older cousins used to have them and I had fond memories of playing with them. There value has went down in the last few years but every now and them I dig the closet take them out and the memories are worth billions. As detmatt posted johnny lightning makes some really cool cars of good quality and come out with limited adittions that have doubled and tripled in value. There are also other companies such as M2, hot pursuit, aw and Gl muscle that are very nice quality, packaged nicely and make a lot of cars you would not expect. My son collects them and has a couple of hundred. We used to buy him hot wheels and matchbox and for Christmas and his birthday buy him a few of the other which he keeps in the package. He is 17 and he still loves them.I am sure whatever you get him if you take the time to play with him the memories he"ll have down the road will be invaluable. The best bet is buy him the hot wheels and matchbox to play with. Then buy him the others to keep packaged and display and he will be hooked and so will you. The other cars are about 7 bucks-10 bucks which aint bad.Hot wheels even comes out with some repos and special additions that are really nice. Good luck and enjoy your time with your son they grow up to quick Frank

LOL, I thought I’d buy a few for the kid when he was young. It kind of got out of hand.

1205F37D-DBDA-4FF8-99CB-9F13318472A6.jpeg

I agree with the Johnny’s as cool, but Matchbox and Hot Wheels are still only a buck.

You still have a chance to join the exclusive Hot Wheels Red Line Club:

Red Line Club Membership Sign-Up & Benefits | Hot Wheels Collectors

Here is another site to check out:

Swifty's Garage - The Garage

Back