Column gear selector lever roll pin

darth_linux

Reaction score
This roll pin wants to come out even after re-seating it. Guessing it’s wore out. If I tap this pin out and remove the lever to soak in evaporust, is anything else going to pop out or shift in some way that would require me to pull it all apart to put things back together? Or is it an easy peasy replacement?

B8301FD9-2BF1-46BB-8F7B-0584AA2F2A1E.jpeg

As long as the car is in neutral you should be ok to pull out the shift lever. The collar where the pin fits is pot metal so the collar is usually what is worn out if that is what is wrong. The metal pin will bind on the shift lever if there is rust on the pin or the hole in the lever. Put some light oil on the hole in shift lever, that should keep the pin from binding and rotating out.

Dave

If the pin wants to move up, you might find a drift to enlarge the bottom of the pin, kind of like "staking" it in place. Rather than removal, you might use some white vinegar solution for the rust removal and then follow that with some quality cleaner wax or polishing compound (and some good car wax).

I know people who have removed and replaced column shift levers with no issues (that they mentioned), so it doesn't appear to be that hard to do. BUT no real need to remove the lever just to clean it up, to me. FWIW You might consult either the Chrysler parts book or FSM to get an idea of what is in the column shift mechanism, for good measure.

Take care,
CBODY67

If the pin wants to move up, you might find a drift to enlarge the bottom of the pin, kind of like "staking" it in place. Rather than removal, you might use some white vinegar solution for the rust removal and then follow that with some quality cleaner wax or polishing compound (and some good car wax).

I know people who have removed and replaced column shift levers with no issues (that they mentioned), so it doesn't appear to be that hard to do. BUT no real need to remove the lever just to clean it up, to me. FWIW You might consult either the Chrysler parts book or FSM to get an idea of what is in the column shift mechanism, for good measure.

Take care,
CBODY67
I looked at the exploded diagram in the FSM but didn’t trust my own interpretation over the wisdom of those who have “been there, done that.”

Back