Connecting Highway tribute page

cm23uoc

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
mikesduster01.jpg
Connecting Highway Tribute

Stumbled across this during some Research.
Any "ancient" witnesses around here ?

connectinghighway.gif

The street racing scene was really big in the NYC and New Jersey areas back then. There were a few guys from my area that were big street racers and made the 250+ mile tow to NYC or Jersey for an occasional race when the money was right. There was serious money involved too... Around here, street racing was pretty big, but not on that scale.

The fastest street race car in my (Syracuse) area was an early Chevelle that a late friend of mine (John "Nitrous" Gossen") built for a drug dealer called "Dirt Man". John told me he was paid in $10 and $20 dollar bills for the build... The other really fast car was a 69 A12 clone ex-race car that used to be mine. In street race trim, my engine still in the car, with the spray added by the new owner, my old car did a 9.90 in the quarter and I'm told that Dirt Man's car was a lot faster.

Personally, I stayed away except for a little spectating. Frankly, the risk of jail has always scared the crap out of me.

Not far from where I lived, the shop that did a lot of work on Bill Blanding's early pro stock cars. His 69 Camaro was sold to Levi Holmes who had both his own cars and was a "hired gun" for others in the NYC/Jersey street racing world.

StBillBlanding32CAMARO.jpg

BlackKnight-1.jpg

I spent Friday's and Saturday nights there
There were people up top on Saturday nights down both sides (you looked down onto highway) that's a 1/2 mile of people 2 or 3 deep
You saw every kind of car vans-everything you could imagine.
We also spent Sunday afternoons testing and tuning
Man was it great to hangout the other great hangout was Astoria park down by the water

Back