Console Pistol Grip - Need to know

Commandough

Reaction score
I've asked around both here and locally and it sounds like your run of the mill B Body A833 is a direct replacement for the missing 4 speed in my Sport Fury (1968). That's easy enough, now I need to know since it's going to get a standard A833, and the B and C Body console was the same, do the dimensions of the car throw any snags in the way of putting a Hurst Pistol Grip in this car? This is a factory 4 speed console car, but I'm concerned and need to know before I buy if the Inland that came in it had a different setup, possibly different brackets or anything that would cause there to be fabrication needed to make the Pistol Grip fit? Anybody done this swap that can share if I'm in the clear to go ahead with this change? Thanks

You just need to swap to a stock Hurst shifter mechanism like was used on the later 68 and 69-74 era cars.

There were 4 different pistol grip shifter handles

70 B body no console
70 B body w/ console
70-74 E body, 71-74 B body Bench seat
70-74 E body, 71-74 B body console

You would need the 70 B body w/ console

Like this

upload_2017-5-6_6-49-24.png

You have to have the 68-70 B/C body shifter mechanism (and shifter rods) that accepts the push in (bayonet) style handle for an original handle. but Hurst makes bolt on style shifters too that you can use with the aftermarket shifter handles that bolt on.

Pretty sure your inland style shifter mech is incompatible with both styles of handles i.e. bolt on and bayonet.

As far as I know the Inland was used in 68 and then changed to the Hurst unit in 69, (possibly late 68). Once this happened, many owners converted to the Hurst as it's a superior unit to the Inland. This what was done to mine sometime back in the day according to the past owner history. It works fine but I'd prefer it had a another bend as it seems to be a little forward of the optimum position.
Boot_Console.jpg
Boot_Console1.jpg

As far as I know the Inland was used in 68 and then changed to the Hurst unit in 69, (possibly late 68). Once this happened, many owners converted to the Hurst as it's a superior unit to the Inland. This what was done to mine sometime back in the day according to the past owner history. It works fine but I'd prefer it had a another bend as it seems to be a little forward of the optimum position.View attachment 123871 View attachment 123872

That appears to be a flat metal shifter ... not original. This is what a late 68/9 B/C console shifter handle looks like. Round handle and raked back pretty good.

I felt it was the perfect angle when I used one in a B body.

upload_2017-5-6_8-3-22.png

That appears to be a flat metal shifter ... not original. This is what a late 68/9 B/C console shifter handle looks like. Round handle and raked back pretty good.

I felt it was the perfect angle when I used one in a B body.

I know the original owner switched it out, it still had remnants of the original, (round hole), upper and lower boots when I got it.

I always thought the pistol grip levers were a tacky gimmick. I hate to see them used in non original applications. I perfer the ole round knob or perhaps a Hurst "T" handle.. JMHO

A pistol grip is easy to hold, but then again this is coming from a truck driver, sitting my hand on top of a shifter does not feel right ( range seletors and splitters are on the sides)

That's what I'm going for. I heard the Inlands had problems and people always got rid of them later on so I'm going with something that feels good. I usually like OE too but in this case I've got room to have some fun without feeling like I'm detracting from the way it was engineered.

[QUOTE="Commandough, I heard the Inlands had problems and people always got rid of them later on QUOTE]

Most of the stories, (rumors), about the inland shifter were old wives tales. Likely born from folks who couldn't shift, so had to blame it on something.
The weak part of the inland shifter was the reverse cable, they would break and you'd either be stuck in reverse, or couldn't get into reverse. I've had several and never missed a power shift, did break a reverse lockout cable though.
They are great street level shifters. A Hurst competition plus was the choice for serious competition though.

I suspect it's just that the Hurst shifters were so much better and lots of people who drove other mopars were used to their quality Will

I suspect it's just that the Hurst shifters were so much better and lots of people who drove other mopars were used to their quality Will

Perhaps Brian, but the production Hurst shifters installed in 69 & later Mopars weren't much better than the inland shifter, and not near as good as a Hurst comp plus.

I picked up a cheap non-console inland shifter for the "maybe one day" 4 spd conversion on the wagon. I plan on making an adapter to run a hurst shifter mechanism, but mount the inland shifter to it so it appears original.

Perhaps Brian, but the production Hurst shifters installed in 69 & later Mopars weren't much better than the inland shifter, and not near as good as a Hurst comp plus.

You have much more experience than me Will, and experience when the cars actually new. I had experience with them from the 80's on and the inland shifters felt a lot sloppier and less precise than my B Body factory shifted Hurst cars. Maybe the experiences I had with inland shifted cars were cars with worn out shifters.

I picked up a cheap non-console inland shifter for the "maybe one day" 4 spd conversion on the wagon. I plan on making an adapter to run a hurst shifter mechanism, but mount the inland shifter to it so it appears original.

something like this

upload_2017-5-7_14-36-45.png

Will,

The Hurst comp plus always looked very similar to the Hurst shifters installed in the muscle era Mopars to me what is the main difference between the comp plus and the ones Ma installed, other than the adjustable stops?

I believe brewer transmissions makes a hurst linkage that accepts the original inland shifter.

Back