continuing misadventures of a fuselage car

Sorry about your car. Someone told me long ago that these cars are prone to fires also because of faulty headlight switches...
Is that true?

I wouldn't say "prone". I have had a few electrical gremlins along the way that were easy to solve if you have an FSM (I've two). I've never had a headlight switch go bad on me..or in any Mopar/Chrysler car I've owned. I've heard sometimes the high beam switch on the floor grounds out sometimes, but that's an easy fix....I've never had one go on me. IMO any car that is almost half a century old is going to have unique issues arise from time to time, esp. if it's driven like mine. Still I wouldn't trade my Chrysler for a ford or chevy or anything else, ever.

From what I've been seeing lately, on this and other forums, is the bulkhead connector seems to be the biggest cause of problems. As the cars age, the contacts oxidize and cause more resistance or don't conduct at all.

I'm beginning to think that the best repair/preventative we can do is to take the plugs out and treat all the contacts with some red Deoxit. I've done that to mine already. Buy it on Amazon or a good electronic repair supply.

341-215_HR_0.jpg

Having just spent 3 weekends coming to that very conclusion trying to solve the no run voltage on My 70 I appreciate your advice! Thank you for the tip!

The prongs in my bulk head connectors were pristine the first time I disco'd them from the firewall pass through about two years ago now......no corrosion or melted spots whutso ever. I had heard that packing them with dielectric grease would keep them that way so I dont think Im gonna need the other stuff. In fact I dont like to touch them except to inspect once or twice a year.

The prongs in my bulk head connectors were pristine the first time I disco'd them from the firewall pass through about two years ago now......no corrosion or melted spots whutso ever. I had heard that packing them with dielectric grease would keep them that way so I dont think Im gonna need the other stuff. In fact I dont like to touch them except to inspect once or twice a year.
Keep in mind what dielectric means. It's non conductive, an insulator.

It's good for sealing an electrical connection, and by doing that, it will help prevent corrosion. But here again, it's another instance of people not understanding it's proper usage. If you smear it all over the contacts, you have just smeared non conductive material on them. In practice, it will get scraped off when the contacts are pushed together, but you will still have a build up of non conductive grease on your contacts.

I personally would never use the dielectric grease to "pack" the connectors. A coating on the mating surfaces of the insulator makes sense to seal the insulator and insure that it slides together nicely.

Back