Convertible top cleaner

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
I did about 3 forum searches here but may not have used the correct words other than convertible and cleaner. Lots of air cleaner threads!
So...those with drop tops ....what do you use to keep your tops clean and supple? I was told saddle soap, but I've since heard that's incorrect.

I have a vinyl convertible top on mine and I use the 303 cleaner with a horsehair brush to clean and follow with 303 protectant.

BTW, the 303 protectant is the best stuff to use on interior vinyl.

303 Vinyl Convertible Top Kit, 303 Convertible Top Cleaner, 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 vinyl top care, convertible top care,

RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush, RaggTopp brush, clean convertible top, vinyl brush

If for some reason, you have a fabric top instead of the original vinyl, you could use 303 cleaner with 303 fabric guard instead of the protectant.

Here's how to tell: Is My Top Fabric or Vinyl?

303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit, Fabric convertible top cleaner, fabric convertible top car, cloth convertible top care, canvas convertible top care

WWeNIeW.jpg

few years back I did a bunch of research into plastic and vinyl cleaning and protection. I discovered anything containing silicon or any petroleum products was very bad news, especially for plastics which have flexibility like dash pads, seats and convertible roofs. With input from my brother, a chemical engineer, the winner was a product called "Aerospace 303 Protectant". I used to be an Armor All believer, however after my digging my house and garage are Armor all free zones, that stuff is really nasty.

I use 303 on all of my vinyl tops. Great cleaner and protector.

I recently received this memo from 303 as part of a fight with a tire company accusing me of cracking due to application of protectant.

Attachments

• Memo 303 Aerospace Protecant (12-06-18).pdf
    350.5 KB · Views: 168
I have a vinyl convertible top on mine and I use the 303 cleaner with a horsehair brush to clean and follow with 303 protectant.

BTW, the 303 protectant is the best stuff to use on interior vinyl.

303 Vinyl Convertible Top Kit, 303 Convertible Top Cleaner, 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 vinyl top care, convertible top care,

RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush, RaggTopp brush, clean convertible top, vinyl brush

If for some reason, you have a fabric top instead of the original vinyl, you could use 303 cleaner with 303 fabric guard instead of the protectant.

Here's how to tell: Is My Top Fabric or Vinyl?

303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit, Fabric convertible top cleaner, fabric convertible top car, cloth convertible top care, canvas convertible top care

View attachment 271756

I like the idea of that horse hair brush, I need to get one too. Looks like it would be the ticket for a vinyl top too - fine bristles to get into the grain. Auto Geek is a great site.

How about the plastic rear windows? Any recommendations?
The Polara's is pretty nasty.

I've never done one myself, but I was thinking to use some like Meguirs Plast-X after a good washing.

This guy is pretty through, although the first part of the video concerns cleaning the top with his products, it's still good to watch. (BTW, that's a fabric top) At around 11 minutes, he starts cleaning and then polishing with Plast-X. The results look great.

This guy has some great videos on restoring old Chryslers. He might put you to sleep, but I've seen his cars (he's local) and they are really nice.

He's using Novus products here. Looks like great results.

The 303 is good information. Mine is still the OEM top, while visually still good has seemed to have shrunk to a point where it's tough to clamp when putting up, (if it's been down for a few days), and has some leaks when it rains. Is it to far gone?

The 303 is good information. Mine is still the OEM top, while visually still good has seemed to have shrunk to a point where it's tough to clamp when putting up, (if it's been down for a few days), and has some leaks when it rains. Is it to far gone?

Try to avoid moving the top when its cold. On a hot summer day, run the top up and down a few times to get it stretched. Try raising the top but leave it unlatched, it will settle under its own weight and then can be latched. Never fold a wet top down in the well. It's always better to raise the top each night.
Water leaks are usually weather stripping and/or side window alignment.

Back