converting to bucket seats

swisherred

Reaction score
I managed to meet a very cool guy who I think is on this forum and bought the bucket seats and matching buddy and rear seats from him today. The drivers seat has a bad rail....Im wondering if the rails from my bench seat are the same ones and if they can just be swapped out.

also wondering if the mounting holes for the bench match the buckets...at least on the outside bolts.

Im confident the rear will just bolt in. It had the same mounts as mine even though the new one has the center medallion....no rear bracket needed on this one and has the same 4 hooks at the top.

I will have to make the brackets for the buddy seat...cutting them out would destabilize his floor too much...massive rust already in the floor.

1967 newport bench and car...1968 300 buckets.

This is what I will have to make.

20190803_121504.jpg

I did find that the upper inner hooks for the back seat needed to be moved outwards about 2", and the plastic cover has mounting holes in the deck, but the retainers are missing from them. Easy enough to install once I find the right ones.

The lower half of the rear seat seems to fit loose. I think they may have moved the lower clips 1/2" forward...or maybe I installed it wrong. I will double check it.

Last edited:
I converted my 68 polara from bench to buckets. The factory dimpled the floor pan
In the spots where you need to drill your four new holes. These centered perfectly in the channel under the floor pan. Allowing bolts from buckets to drop right in place.

Did it on my 64. One thing I noticed is there where reinforcements on the inside bolt holes on the floor pan. I had cut those out of the parts car.

20180113_151249.jpg

20180113_151302.jpg

20180823_182601.jpg

Back