Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Folks.

This popped out of another thread. We'll see if it has legs.

We have posted/sprink/ed car art .. the drawings/painting used in vintage advertising .. all over this forum. Gotta be in dozens of threads where you'd least expect it.

Sorry, this may be an oldtimers (like me) thread who remembers these in magazines (remember those?). Always the coolest looking people, in great places, with the sweetest rides of their day.

Couple of guys posted something in Heavy Metal thread. Inspired me. Hope I am not the only one to post cool car art that reminds you of why you love cars too perhaps?

Cars/trucks/any makes -- just needs to be an artists drawing versus a photograph .. that cool with everybody I hope?

Starting here. cantflip posted this one.

1955buick4-jpg.jpg

CM23uoc posted this one. I just wanna be THAT guy, in THIS car, on THAT road, with THAT lady. :)

Capture40.jpg

My art instructor would ask me. “Can’t you draw anything but cars”? My answer was always, “why. Cars are art". Let’s see, hmmmm, draw a bowl of fruit or perfect the XKE form?

Last edited:
Ray, you do come up with cool concept threads

paying attention to other peoples' stuff that really catches my eye boss. and things that are "timeless" in design and representative of an "era".

combining my love of cars and history in this case. maybe other folks have the same "illnesses" i do? :)

I recall commando1 posted this one somewhere -- how cool is THAT dude, in THAT car, in THAT place .. eyeballin' a cute lady

Capture40.jpg

One of my best clients and dear friends gave me this before he passed a few years ago. Thanks Dawn and R.I.P. Norman.
B24E78E3-C6A6-4517-92E4-CDFF5184E154.jpeg
78C6D22A-34F6-4FE7-AFDC-6084A928ECA4.jpeg

1459F8B7-2177-4A0B-9B75-EE63245DED52.jpeg

Gotta catch a plane .. but y'all get the "picture" (pun intended). Thanks to anyone who participates or just digs the work :)

I met one of the GM Advertising Illustrators at the Pebble Beach Art Tent [responsible for many of the above Ads] for the Concours d’ellegance; very nice Fellow; GM Divisions would fly them over to Europe, Monaco, Paris etc all expenses paid to get the romantic old world atmosphere right!

Back when I was in grade school, I really liked the photo art ads, rather than the drawn art ads. In many of the Buick drawn art ads, the proportions were carefully altered for more length, but the various perspectives were still there, so it all looked good.

There were two guys who did the Pontiac ads. As I recall reading, they were in different parts of the country and worked independently of each other, typically. When I read that article, I got a very new perspective of that ad series. Details were fantastic! As mentioned, you WANTED to be that guy in THAT Pontiac!

There were some great Chrysler ads, too. I've found many on the old Plan59 epherma website. I think it's resurfaced under a different name. Cars, kitchen appliances, etc., from the '40s and newer. GREAT stuff!

Unfortunately, most of what I've archived is on my other laptop.

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1961_44054398_1613744448731117_7232562507980734464_n.jpg

CHRYSLER__1965_300_3001965.jpg

Back