For Sale Cool Olds wagon on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmoparjeff

Reaction score
Contact seller
This popped up while I was searching for parts for a newer Custom Cruiser. I know that the GM clamshell wagons are bringing strong money these days, but don't know if $16.5K is in the ball park or pie in the sky. Certainly appears to be in excellent condition. Doesn't look like anybody ever put anything in the back of the car.

1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1973 Oldsmobile Cruiser Station wagon. 455 automatic transmission. Full power except windows and locks mostly original parts. Almost all original paint and perfect wood grain. Spectacular interior, seats 9. Great working heat and air condition. Working radio. New timing chain,hoses etc. Drives awesome Note: small damage left rear fender, where corner of bumper meets.

82K miles.

$16.5K/offer

I like it. Not that I'm a buyer, but it looks like a really nice car.

I wonder if the bean bag ashtray is included? Not a car that I'd smoke in though. All that cloth is an odor magnet.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for posting! I don't believe I've ever seen one of those, and definitely never heard the term "clamshell" applied to cars. Had to look that up, very cool feature! Unlike most wagons, that one appears to have led a pampered life.

This car is being discussed on Station Wagon Forums. Some questions as to whether the seat pattern is original and if the map pocket all the way across the back of the front seat is correct. And the awful yellow Zeibart plugs. But yes a very nice wagon.

This car is being discussed on Station Wagon Forums. Some questions as to whether the seat pattern is original and if the map pocket all the way across the back of the front seat is correct. And the awful yellow Zeibart plugs. But yes a very nice wagon.

I was wondering about that upholstery myself. It looks a little modern for 1973, but I'm leaning towards it being correct. I think I've seen similar cloth in other early 70's GM cars. The Zeibart plugs are a bummer. I have a car with them too. I'd replace them with black plugs to lessen the visual impact.

Looks like someone pulled the trigger on it, as it now says the listing has ended and it's sold.

I thought this was a Mopar site. Just kidding, I'm particularly into Mopar, BUT like all cars. I'm falling in love with this wagon! As BigblueC said, I'm not a buyer but looks like a nice car. Love the red on red with wood-grain.

A VERY nice example of the last of the "big wagons" from GM. The term "clamshell" was attached to the rear tail gate/back window mechanism. The bottom retracted into the rear floor area as the top retracted into the roof. "Clamshell" fashion. The rear gate was counter-balanced to reduce the effort to where a pregnant lady with a bag of groceries in her arms could operate it. This one appears to have a power assist.

The interior, if it'd been a 98 Regency Brougham, would have been the "loose pillow" look velour. As it's not a full luxury package, its possible that what's in it is correct for it. Plus the full-width "magazine pocket" on the back of the front bench seat.

What's NOT factory correct is the Buick Road Wheels, but probably with an Olds center cap.

The car does appear to be in great shape, having led an "easy" life. Certainly a low production vehicle. AND one that will last a good while longer, with just basic maintenance. Might not be thirstier on fuel than many current SUVs?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

My money is on the fact that the Clamshell needs to be repaired. After a zillion years of being subjected to the harshest road conditions they rarely work properly and are simply loaded with corrosion

In reality, the Vista Cruisers were more in the orientation of Delta 88 Trim, unless you ordered leather. The manual windows and door locks might tend to point to somebody that wanted a spiffy looking upscale Oldsmobile, but not leather or similar.

The clamshell tailgates gave the stylists new ways to make a more sleek station wagon that didn't look like prior station wagons, for better or for worse. With no "fold down" tailgate and load extension platform, definitely different. Could get to the load floor without having to bend over anything, in the process. Had to weight a good bit more than the "prior designs", too.

Still, kind of neat. Never did look at the mechanism to see how it might be lubeable. Never was interested in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back