COOL QUESTION

I84885

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have searched and searched but my search engines are sick lol Anyway did the 68 newport come with AC or was that an option. If it did what was the factory air. I find all sorts of aftermarket install kits but nothing original just wondering

A/C was available as standard A/C and Auto Temp A/C on a '68 Newport. You could also buy an under dash add on unit from Chrysler back in the day. I believe that I have a couple of the under dash a/c units. Otherwise you would need to use an aftermarket under the dash system.

Agreed, "factory a/c" was a unique item, NOT sold in a kit. The "aftermarket" or "hang-down" a/c items were installed at the dealership or the vendor what sold them. Chrysler/AirTemp did do some hang-down kits, as mentioned. There are some listed in the various Chrysler Accessory catalogs or even in the front of some of the parts books, IIRC. Some looked nicer than others, with the inside items usually being universal and the "mount and drive" kits making them specific to the model they being installed into.

In order to replicate "factory a/c", you would need an appropriate parts car to swap all of the parts from. A lot bigger situation than might be suspected, usually, as there were some unique items to the factory a/c system that were not on the non-factory a/c cars. Including firewall/cowl stampings, which means "cut and fit" rather than "bolt on" for non-factory a/c cars.

Plymouth Valiant and Dodge Darts "factory a/c" was the hang-down variety with a cycling RV-2 compressor.

In the Ford/Mercury World, their factory a/c WAS the hang-down variety in all of their cars. Until the 1965 model year and the "new-body" Galaxie/LTD arrived, which had "integrated" factory a/c as GM and Chrysler had had for many years prior. Seems as though Ford Motor Co vehicles which were built at the Wixon Assy Plant had integratged a/c many years prior to 1965 (Lincolns and T-birds, specifically).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

My '68 Chryslers that were equipped with factory a/c had the "Airtemp" label on the window, but my '76 Newport had a sticker that read something like "Air conditioned by Chrysler service and parts division". I've always wondered if that meant the a/c on that car was installed by the dealer?? It wasn't one of those under-dash units. It was fully integrated into the car just like factory. I've always wondered about that sticker though.

Agreed, "factory a/c" was a unique item, NOT sold in a kit. The "aftermarket" or "hang-down" a/c items were installed at the dealership or the vendor what sold them. Chrysler/AirTemp did do some hang-down kits, as mentioned. There are some listed in the various Chrysler Accessory catalogs or even in the front of some of the parts books, IIRC. Some looked nicer than others, with the inside items usually being universal and the "mount and drive" kits making them specific to the model they being installed into.

In order to replicate "factory a/c", you would need an appropriate parts car to swap all of the parts from. A lot bigger situation than might be suspected, usually, as there were some unique items to the factory a/c system that were not on the non-factory a/c cars. Including firewall/cowl stampings, which means "cut and fit" rather than "bolt on" for non-factory a/c cars.

Plymouth Valiant and Dodge Darts "factory a/c" was the hang-down variety with a cycling RV-2 compressor.

In the Ford/Mercury World, their factory a/c WAS the hang-down variety in all of their cars. Until the 1965 model year and the "new-body" Galaxie/LTD arrived, which had "integrated" factory a/c as GM and Chrysler had had for many years prior. Seems as though Ford Motor Co vehicles which were built at the Wixon Assy Plant had integratged a/c many years prior to 1965 (Lincolns and T-birds, specifically).

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you for info Mr CBODY 67. Now I know why it was so hard to find good info on that AC. IF you had to add one nowadays which route would you take

Back