Coolant coming from fuel pump area, 383

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a 68 Chrysler Newport. Recently rebuilt 383 bored to a 390. Fitech fuel injection. Heard a pop the other day and am spilling coolant like crazy. It's coming from fuel pump area in the block. Just behind and below the alternator area. Please tell me easily fixable?

Went and rented a coolant leak pump kit. 270 bucks, like 20 attachments and non for mine. Lovely.

20210730_104452.jpg

My first guess would be the exhaust manifold stud on that end of the block. They have to be sealed with permatex before being installed since they penetrate the water jacket. Also take a look at the heater line nipples at the top of the water pump, could even be a bad pump that blew the relief valve. The temp sensor is also on that side of the block.

Also check the soft plugs. If one of them was improperly set, they can partially dislodge and leak.

Dave

So additional fyi it happened the other day. I got it home just in time but leaked a lot of coolant. I just topped it off without starting the car and it appears to be just flowing from there. I don't see any other place it's coming from. It's dry above and I haven't started the car to get fresh coolant higher up in the system. But its dry above it and only wet right there. Guess maybe it could be one of the bolts that holds the timing cover area in right there next to it?

Last edited:
So additional fyi it happened the other day. I got it home just in time but leaked a lot of coolant. I just topped it off without starting the car and it appears to be just flowing from there. I don't see any other place it's coming from. It's dry above and I haven't started the car to get fresh coolant higher up in the system. But its dry above it and only wet right there. Guess maybe it could be one of the bolts that holds the timing cover area in right there next to it?
Can you draw a circle on the photo above, where the coolant seems to be leaking from? Not much there to leak.

Or, take off the alternator, fill it and watch where it comes out.

Timing cover bolts are dry. Just look it over good. Water runs down hill. Put powder on it to see where it’s wet. Water pump housing or freeze plugs on the head are your areas to check.

I am betting on a freeze plug popped..
If it did pop put from the head an easy fix.

My guess is one of the exhaust manifold studs. I'm with what 413 suggested, get a bottle of baby powder, squeeze and shake it all over that area and watch where it's wet. Yanking the alternator will help, but a hand mirror & a bright flashlight can work also. It'd be helpful to have a friend with a hose slowly topping off the radiator as you look to see where it's leaking from.

Good luck and best wishes it ain't a cracked block/head or a freeze plug.

Your heads have a soft plug on each end. I am guessing the right front one gave way. Improper install on the rebuild or if not touched likely rusted through. Take the alternator off and you should see it. Can’t believe an exhaust manifold bolt would leak that much if it is still threaded in. ( unless totally missing.)
Also noticed water pump looks vintage. Could also be your source of the leak.

Get rid of a couple of accessories and look closer. If it is pouring out like you say, it should be pretty easy to pinpoint.
Likely need to remove the accessories anyway to fix it.

Last edited:
Water pump is new, just painted. Talked to the guy that rebuilt the engine. He thinks it might be the exhaust manifold bolt. Either way, I'm going to take the alternator off and check the plug at the end of the head and the exhaust bolt. Appreciate the insight. I'll follow up with an update and pictures

It is coolant on top of painted metal, it just cannot be that hard to find the leak. Powder is your friend.

If it's leaking a lot, you should notice it if you start it and run the coolant through the system.

Yep, im betting on water pump housing. Clean, spread flour, and pressurize w the right tool.

Can't leak from that cover, but it sure can leak from the water pump housing gasket on the same circle.

In fact, the gasket looks "funny" to me.

Looks like a gob of blue RTV more than any gasket there. He heard a pop. Maybe it blew out there.

do you have water in the oil ( did you look ) or oil in the water ( radiator ) hope something didn't crack internally .

Okay. Final follow up. I clearly don't know some of the internals of the engine well enough so sorry about the adventure figuring out where the leak was coming from. Turns out it was the water pump housing gasket. Pulled the ac, alternator and power steering pump. Got the gaskets swapped and car put back together. It starts, doesn't leak, and I don't have any leftover parts!!! Have a little belt squeal so gotta tighten up the belts a little. But otherwise successful surgery.

Okay. Final follow up. I clearly don't know some of the internals of the engine well enough so sorry about the adventure figuring out where the leak was coming from. Turns out it was the water pump housing gasket. Pulled the ac, alternator and power steering pump. Got the gaskets swapped and car put back together. It starts, doesn't leak, and I don't have any leftover parts!!! Have a little belt squeal so gotta tighten up the belts a little. But otherwise successful surgery.

GLAD to see GOOD NEWS for you! I thought that **** hangin out by that spot where the pump housing joins the block looked BAD! Be GLAD 'twas nothing worse. These engines really are the simplest, most elegant V8s ever made, period. Oce you learn how they were cast, then put together, you will TRULY appreciate Will Wirtman's utter mechanical genius. The B/RB block V8 is the best V8 man ever built.

Back