Coolant Escape from Overflow after shutdown - Any ideas?Monaco Wagon 383

I wouldn't dare drilling a hole in my car's radiator yoke for an overflow bottle. Wire-ties rule! :) Should have used an empty beer can instead of a plastic bottle, though :D

Made my overflow bottle from a half gallon plastic kerosene jug, boring one 3/8" hole through the cap, the other through the bottle near the cap. I run with the coolant between 1.25" below the filler neck as per the FSM for 1966, as seen below:
upload_2019-5-16_22-37-6.png

[Chrysler FSM, 1966, C-8, p5, Col 1.]

The coolant overflow line is 3/8" PVC and a bit of hose to connect that tubing to the radiator overflow. My coolant would "burp" about 10 minutes after parking it when at running temperature or greater. Refraining from OVERFILLING is the best remedy for such.

Thanks again for all the good info! I am wondering if 80-90 gear oil is ok for my 72 Imperial rear end? My repair book says to use hypoid 2933565? Is this the same for my 70 charger? Also do these take type f transmission fluid or just dex 3

Thanks again for all the good info! I am wondering if 80-90 gear oil is ok for my 72 Imperial rear end? My repair book says to use hypoid 2933565? Is this the same for my 70 charger? Also do these take type f transmission fluid or just dex 3

80w90 gear oil is fine.
Regular dexron/mercon is fine.
Type F is ok but an old school trick

Back