Coolant Recovery Tank Location 66 Fury

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where the coolant recovery tank originally mounted on my 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP. Based on my original radiator, and looking at other cars, I know that the tank hose ran down the right side of it near the battery tray but where the other end of it goes I have no clue. My car is an a/c car and it has a receiver drier, so there is no way I could mount a tank on the left side of the radiator. I got a universal tank and I'm going to be mounting it where the washer tank used to be for now until I figure this out. I even went over the 1966 parts catalog and service manual but there is no mention of both the coolant recovery and washer tanks.

If you have a car with the stock recovery system, pictures of it would help.

(Viewpoint is from the front of the vehicle)
Problem has been solved

-Nick

Last edited:
It mounted nowhere.

First year for the recovery tank was 1972, and only on certain engine packages, like police and trailer towing. It mounted next to the battery on a bracket that kind of went over the radiator. When it became standard in 1973, the receiver/drier was moved to the grill side of the rad support to make room for the tank where the drier used to be.

That doesn't mean that you can't install one. Most people put them on the grill side of the rad support, on the driver side.

Jeff

They didn't have one! It's open on the end so it can piss it on the ground and not catch it! Remember, these cars were made before the environmental geeks screwed things up! Good Luck

They didn't have them at that time. However, I applaud your desire to install one. I have one mounted on the passenger side, on the engine side, and I just looped the hose around over the top of the shroud. Lots of room there for a coolant recover bucket.

My car is a 66 T&C with dual AC, so it has essentially the same dimensions as your 66 VIP. As you can see, no interference with anything.

By the way, right side and left side of vehicles is determined when sitting in the driver's seat. Therefore, right side is the passenger side on a left hand drive vehicle.
20210413_160957.jpg

It mounted nowhere.

First year for the recovery tank was 1972, and only on certain engine packages, like police and trailer towing. It mounted next to the battery on a bracket that kind of went over the radiator. When it became standard in 1973, the receiver/drier was moved to the grill side of the rad support to make room for the tank where the drier used to be.

That doesn't mean that you can't install one. Most people put them on the grill side of the rad support, on the driver side.

Jeff
Thanks, good info to know. The more I looked around, the more I realized that a coolant tank didn't exist. But, the hose on the radiator was gone when I got the car so I had only online pictures to go off. Its very possible to mount a coolant tank but I had seen a lot of cars with no receiver drier, have a tank mounted on the left. Where you said that a coolant tank is usually mounted is a good idea but I think I have an idea that would put it away from the head lamp wires. Weird thing is I saw some restored cars without the tank, can you even still do that? lol

They didn't have one! It's open on the end so it can piss it on the ground and not catch it! Remember, these cars were made before the environmental geeks screwed things up! Good Luck
Thanks. Ya, Its hard to unsee it when every other car in my life has had a coolant tank lol. But, isn't it a waste of coolant? lol The libtards are destroying the 21st century, I lost faith in 21st century cars, so ill be driving this 66 fury around for a while.

They didn't have them at that time. However, I applaud your desire to install one. I have one mounted on the passenger side, on the engine side, and I just looped the hose around over the top of the shroud. Lots of room there for a coolant recover bucket.

My car is a 66 T&C with dual AC, so it has essentially the same dimensions as your 66 VIP. As you can see, no interference with anything.

By the way, right side and left side of vehicles is determined when sitting in the driver's seat. Therefore, right side is the passenger side on a left hand drive vehicle.
View attachment 453265
Thanks for the picture, it helps. It was more of a mechanic point of view, poking around in the engine bay. I thought the battery tray would cover me lmao.

View attachment 453265
I mounted one at the same location pulled from a 73 Newport
Luckily, the vent overflow tube pointed in the correct direction which keeps things tidier

Last edited:
I put this type on the Newport and the Gremlin. They are available at Hot Rod Shows. Work well!

IMG_2598.JPG

20150711_105812.jpg

3D723100-8E32-4D42-B91E-36AEB0C06F68.jpeg
3D723100-8E32-4D42-B91E-36AEB0C06F68.jpeg
As mentioned these are not original but mine has an add on. Wish I had a better picture but it does give you an idea. If you decide to add one make sure you install the correct style rad cap.

Just an FYI
another reason to capture antifreeze instead of just letting it piss in the driveway
If you happen to have a pet dog or cat, for whatever reason they like the sweet taste, and it doesn't take much to make them pretty sick or even kill them

Back