"Cop Shocks"

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
by Elwood Blues
(The Blues Brothers. 1980)​
The other day I received a NOS shock that was specified on the CHP cars, this shock is a little bit bigger than the standard shocks. Not sure how its performance compared to the standard shocks of the day but I doubt it would be as good as today’s shocks. With it in the pictures is a new current Gabriel shock that in size is probably the same as the standard shock of the day.

2015-03-09_004.jpg

2015-03-09_001.jpg

While we’re playing homage to the Bluesbrother’s we might as well talk about the Cop Tires. Up to 1969 the CHP cars had 8.55-15 Bluestreak Police Special Polyglas, in 1970 this tire unchanged was labeled H-78. These were a six-ply tire. Goodyear was nice enough to dig up a picture of the tire from their archives.
2015-03-09_005.jpg

Alan

Keep the intructionals going, Alan. I'm absorbing it like a sponge.

I remember them six-plys as pretty much indestructable for the day. Everybody wanted them. Ever hear the tales of the trooper returning to his car and finding it up on blocks?

As long as we're talking about this in terms of The Blues Brothers, would their "cop tires" have been bias or radial?

(I say this knowing yours is a '69 and therefore bias is correct.)

As long as we're talking about this in terms of The Blues Brothers, would their "cop tires" have been bias or radial?

(I say this knowing yours is a '69 and therefore bias is correct.)

That was a 1974, I believe they were HR-78 (Radials)

Alan

Thanks. I thought they had probably gone to radials in '74, but I wasn't sure. I just know that "it's the last year before they used a catalytic converter, so it runs great on regular gas."

Do you know the meanings of the alphanumeric code? I remember reading somewhere that the letter is the width and the number is the aspect ratio? I just remember it being kind of weird that you had to work backwards from one measurement to get another.

(I still wish someone would make a 235-85 R 15 that would be a better match for the 9.15-15 tires that came standard on my car.)

All the molds for 85 series have probably been sold as scrap.
And if anyone tools up for one, Coker is going to charge a fortune for it.

I had a set of Monroe heavy duty shocks on a 68 B-Body way back in the 70's. They were about the size of the "cop" shocks in the first post.

I seem to remember them being called "500" or something like that. Monroe offered the standard shock, the HD shock and then these "500" shocks. It makes me wonder if those would be the shocks spec'd for the cop cars.

I put a set of Monroe Magnums (very thick) on my RR circa 1984 .. when I told Dad what I was doing his words were "so you want it to ride like a real Log Wagon !!!" I told him no they had HD suspension, shocks, etc and I want it to ride like it did. (The car is an A31 car so it had the 440/Hemi T bars and springs already)

It was an immense improvement over the worn out front shock and air shocks in the back and I've never driven a better handling Mopar .. I judge all Mopars I've ever driven against it. I'm so looking forward to having the R/T on the road again with the Bilsteins! I'm hoping the ride blows my mind.

"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
by Elwood Blues
(The Blues Brothers. 1980)​
The other day I received a NOS shock that was specified on the CHP cars, this shock is a little bit bigger than the standard shocks. Not sure how its performance compared to the standard shocks of the day but I doubt it would be as good as today’s shocks. With it in the pictures is a new current Gabriel shock that in size is probably the same as the standard shock of the day.

While we’re playing homage to the Bluesbrother’s we might as well talk about the Cop Tires. Up to 1969 the CHP cars had 8.55-15 Bluestreak Police Special Polyglas, in 1970 this tire unchanged was labeled H-78. These were a six-ply tire. Goodyear was nice enough to dig up a picture of the tire from their archives.
2015-03-09_005.jpg

Alan

So, what is the best modern day substitute for that tire?

So, what is the best modern day substitute for that tire?

It all depends of what you call best.
Per Goodyear: Diameter 28.2", Tread width (At contact patch) 6.2"

I am going to run a G-78 Light Truck tire from Specialty Tires of America
http://www.stausaonline.com/tires/sta-super-transport/
It has the same diameter and the same general look (they are bias-ply).

A modern radial would probably be P235/75R15

Alan

I have a CHP-spec '69 Polara. I'm leaning towards good ol' P235/70R-15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, since I want the car to really perform the way it once did...or better. I'm gonna mount them black wall side out.

Once my restoration is done, I want my car to safely handle 100 mph+ With a high performance 440, these cars want to RUN! :)

knowing that sometimes mopar used the parts bin, is there any chance that the shocks interchange with light duty truck shocks?

I have a CHP-spec '69 Polara. I'm leaning towards good ol' P235/70R-15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, since I want the car to really perform the way it once did...or better. I'm gonna mount them black wall side out.

I'm with you. I ordered the Bilsteins off of this site & had new rear springs built.

Back