Correct 440

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m looking at a 1970 Chrysler 300 and the car is a ways away from me. The owner is quite elderly and has some health issues.
I’m trying to determine if the engine in the car is the original 440; all the seller has been able to give me so far is the block casting number; I’m trying to explain to him where the stamping pad is and to clean it and get me the numbers, but he gas early dementia and it’s not happened so far.

I’m hoping the casting number might give me a general idea that it could be the factory 440.

casting number is 25374408
Can anyone help me out with decoding this number?

you might want to ask if there is anyone on here that is close to the car and could look at it for you.
also if you are dealing with someone with dementia you might want to deal with a family member of his...... a friend of mine bought and paid for a car from someone with dementia. it was then sold to someone else because the seller forgot he'd already sold it.....

2536430 is the casting number of a 440 from 1966-72.

They started putting the cubic inch size after the part number in 1973.
So it would be 7 digits then 440 then a number

XXXXXXX-440-X

Dealing with a dementia person is sketchy. They tell you anything and then forget what the promised.

Last edited:
I’m looking at a 1970 Chrysler 300 and the car is a ways away from me. The owner is quite elderly and has some health issues.
I’m trying to determine if the engine in the car is the original 440; all the seller has been able to give me so far is the block casting number; I’m trying to explain to him where the stamping pad is and to clean it and get me the numbers, but he gas early dementia and it’s not happened so far.

I’m hoping the casting number might give me a general idea that it could be the factory 440.

casting number is 25374408
Can anyone help me out with decoding this number?
If the car has A/C, the stamping pad on the top of the engine isn't really visible because the compressor covers it all.

It's not going to tell the tale anyway except for the year of the engine... If you want to do the "matching numbers" folly, you'll have to crawl under the car and look at the stamping pad there.

Quite frankly, you now know it's a 440. Original "matching numbers" doesn't mean much in the C-Body world... Actually it doesn't mean anything if you come right down to it, so just look at the car and base everything on its condition and how it runs. Remember you can't buy body parts, so a rusted car isn't worth much and flipping a rusted car will get you nowhere.

Here's my casting number, and my car is numbers-matching:
2536 430 Casting Number.JPG
Engine VIN a.JPG

Here’s the only photo I have; I do have someone that will check it out fir me in the near future

46B6D8B9-60C9-430D-B681-B9DF8C8792A4.png

So I have the engine stamping number off of the front right pad, and it’s a strange one!

it gas 2 rows; 1st row reads

F 440 (Maltese cross) X

second row reads

7 15 Backwards B

Does this make any sense? Weirdest stamping number I have ever seen!

F 440 = 1970 440
Maltese Cross might be under or oversized bearings, but you could look that up
7 15 = July 15. Coordinate this with the scheduled build date in the fender tag.

I would say that any C body with an engine is more than likely the original engine.

Back