CORRECT AIR CLEANER FOR 72 POLICE CAR

polarus

Reaction score
1972 Dodge Polara W.S.P. car with a 440, should it have a duel snorkel air cleaner or the single with the trap door?

Well as an ex-owner of a 1972 Washington State Patrol Polara I can tell you with absolute certainty that the 72 440 HP came with the single snorkle with the trap door. The H-Code 340 came with the same air cleaner. I've had that air cleaner on/off many times working on the carb.

Humph.jpg

Which agency was that car at? I should come and check it out next time in Rockford...
It was used in service in Grants, New Mexico. Its a town on Historic Route 66. Sold to the family I picked it up from in a city auction in 1985, and brought to Missouri shortly after where it was put away for 32 years. Was bought with intentions to pull the drivetrain and junk it but that never happened thankfully. I am in the process of cleaning it up now.

20181016_204551.jpg

20181016_204436.jpg

Thanks for sharing, hope to see more photo's if you get the time.

my '71 WSP Polara, at that time i believe to be unmolested (several years before I owned it).

00-1-2-2-2.jpg

My '73 WSP Polara, after refinishing, but underhood as it was when I got it -- i cannot be sure this is the original aircleaner however.
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those photo's, maybe it depends on what State the car was going to. I remember a scene in Dirty Mary Crazy Larry where the hood was open on a 72 Polara police car and it had the single snorkel air cleaner. Old C.H.P. cars I think.

Az Border Patrol got busted by the feds in the late 80’s or 90’s for running straight pipes. Rumored to be the fastest law enforcement vehicles in the USA at the time. My buddy’s dad was a wheel in the Az DPS and he purchased all the state trooper cars. He had some cool stuff in his driveway at times. Anyone remember a blown (90’s?) T bird that would eventually pop the supercharger off the motor if you ran it too hard. It failed to make the cut by the way. The car makers would put a popcorn maker in the trunk if he asked for it. I guess what I’m getting at with the cop cars is you never know...

Back