Correct fan diameter for OEM clutch fan

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
Hey folks...
The cooling fan on our 66 Polara 500 has had a lot of damage...almost to be expected for an old car.
But there is a chunk missing out of the end of each blade and the outer edges appear ground, some are very sharp. Don't know what happened, but it's not pretty.
I'd like to replace it with the same size fan. Offhand, does someone know the diameter of the OEM clutch fan? It's a 383 AC car with the 22" radiator.
Yes, I could measure it, but it's not within arms reach.
Thanks!

From reading the forum, it seems like 18 inch is the correct size?

I can check the parts book tomorrow morning, and get you a part number.

Thank you, because I'm going to need one!

Thank you, because I'm going to need one!
Day late, two dollars short.

Here's the numbers out of the book. Third column to the right. Included the spacers p/n's.

IMG_20190430_102216.jpg

IMG_20190430_102258.jpg

Hey folks...
The cooling fan on our 66 Polara 500 has had a lot of damage...almost to be expected for an old car.
But there is a chunk missing out of the end of each blade and the outer edges appear ground, some are very sharp. Don't know what happened, but it's not pretty.
I'd like to replace it with the same size fan. Offhand, does someone know the diameter of the OEM clutch fan? It's a 383 AC car with the 22" radiator.
Yes, I could measure it, but it's not within arms reach.
Thanks!
The cooling specs are in the Factory Service Manual, diameter, number of blades, type of clutch, shroud etc.

Alan

Just what I needed 18.5 inch 7 blade fan with a thermal clutch.
pn 2585 376
Thanks!

I had a 6 blade straight 18 inch fan on my 66 383 when I got it, but no clutch. I went with a 7 blade 20 inch fan w clutch w the old 22 inch radiator, but ordered a 6 glade clutchable 18 inch fan w the new radiator from Cold Case. This arrangement has served VERY well! Never got over 210 F last summer, which for Tucson city traffic is quite good. It NORMALLY stayed under 200F.

how do you know if the thermal clutch isn't working properly. car runs 180-185 degrees around town but out on the highway at speeds over 55 mph temp goes to 205-210 degrees.

how do you know if the thermal clutch isn't working properly. car runs 180-185 degrees around town but out on the highway at speeds over 55 mph temp goes to 205-210 degrees.

Check your coolant level. If its full up to the filler neck, you've seriously overfilled the radiator. I suspect this may be the case. Read on....

To TEST the thermal clutch, warm it up to about 200F and see how much the fan spins relative to the engine. You can use a tach on the engine, and mark one blade on the fan, and use a strobe light (timing light) to see how much the fan actually spins. An oscilloscope or a digital video of the fan might avail you in assessing its angular velocity. I think if less than 80% of the engine angular velocity (rpm) then the thermal clutch can be said to be defective, IFF at operating temperature. I advise you use the "heavy duty" Hayden 2747 clutch. The 2707 doesn't cut it.

This suggests mechanical issues well beyond your fan. Get a timing light onto that 383! If its not 12.5 degrees BTDC on piston #1, then make it so. Also, check your coolant PUMP. THERMOSTAT may be sticking. I changed mine this past week, and Tilly runs a little cooler, given that this Stant Superstat opens a little quicker than the previous one.

Now, how is your TRANSMISSION? IT may be dumping extra heat into the radiator at highway speed. If so, then you likely have issues there.

How much crap is in your cooling jacket? Have you flushed the coolant?

Having driven Mathilda, a '66 Newport w a 383 2 barrel carb, for over 3 years now, I've had ample time to learn the cooling system. Summer in Tucson, AZ punishes any machine, and I thank the Lord that since last May, I've not had the temperature exceed 210 Fahrenheit. That sole occurrence came from running a winter mixture of about 60% antifreeze and too much coolant. The FSM instructs us to fill the radiator to 1.25 inches below the bottom of the filling neck. I check that with a ruler every time I check the radiator. If you fill it FULL, as many neophyte Old Mopar drivers will, you will have effects VERY like what you've described.

Check your coolant level first.

thanks for suggestions.
1) the coolant level is below the filler neck when cold I'll measure the exact measurement tomorrow.
2) don't know exact coolant mixture but it is nice and green. will check that also.

Tranny had new lines installed a couple years ago and have never had a problem till last week. haven't experienced any issues with the tranny.

put a new heavy duty water pump on a couple years ago haven't heard any sounds from it seems to be ok.

taking car in for inspection on Friday will have them check the timing and have them flush radiator and change coolant see if that helps.

Back