Correct fuel pump configuration, please?

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install the entire Inline Tube kit from tank to carb, to replace the "rubber hose and electric pump" treatment this car got in it's past, with a block-off plate where the fuel pump should be, so I have nothing to go by. I see several so-called OEM pumps out there, but what is it supposed to look like?

The Inline kit includes a 5/16 threaded inverted flare outlet pipe (about 7 inches long, curled in a dogleg, sorta) to the filter (under the alternator) and then 5/16 up to the carb. Does this sound correct? I'm more familiar with Mopars that have the filter visible, up near the thermostat housing.

So, assuming we have a 5/16 hose inlet (pointing on an angle to the passenger A-arm), does the threaded 5/16 inverted flare outlet point towards the horns (right side), or towards the timing cover (left side)? I've seen them pointing both ways, or maybe that's one version is for 3/8's steel tube. Dunno.
IMG_3028.JPG

Pics if ya got 'em, please.

Your layout is correct.
Don't forget the fuel line to the carb snakes behind the alternator. It's tricky.
Th OEM fuel line diameter is 5/16ths from tank to carb.

The carb-to-filter pipe configuration will vary with the brand of carb it's configured for. Holleys had their lh front fuel line attachment (normal 4160 OEM carbs) and Carter AVS had their rh rear fuel line inlet location. Looks like you have the Carter pipe? I mention this as a carb change might have been in the car's past, too?

Even for the same engine in different model years, there might have been some minor "kinks and whinks" from one year to the other, but as long as it gets from Point A to Point B in a good manner, with no "hits" on nearby components, "it works". As long as Inline Tube has been doing their repro pipes/tubes, I would suspect that anything was amiss, it would have been fixed long ago.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Guys,

This will be for the AVS setup, or in my case the Street Demon.

But that’s not my issue. We know that Inline is dead-on, so WHICH PUMP OUTLET config is correct for this tube assembly? Thread fitting pointing towards the horns, of towards the timing cover? What pump config is OEM? If I guess wrong, the Inline stuff won’t work.

Big block, or small block and which carburetor would determine the routing and how it looks.
Information, we need it.

Big block, or small block and which carburetor would determine the routing and how it looks.
Information, we need it.
Well, it’s my 300 Hurst....but commando and Clover nailed it down for me: 5/16 threaded outlet points towards the horns. Thought so, but there’s so many sellers of “OEM” pumps out there with all manner of nipple sizes, nipple directions (including straight down!!), threaded sizes and directions...it’s a crapshoot unless ya know what you’re looking for.

Thanks.

Back