Correct Placement of Jackstands (Control Arms?)

Engine, Transmission & Driveline

1. MBar

MBar Active Member

The Chassis manual says "at the control arms"

I have been putting them at front of frame behind wheel well.

I want to do as the manual says but don't know at which point on the control arm..I ant to guess on the outer-most low point... Hmmmmm

Any drawing or specific as to where on the arm?

2. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

You need to put them under a part of the car that does NOT compress!!! Jack up the front end, raising it at the crossmember under the engine. NOTE how the wheels will move inward when the car is raised. They'll do the same thing, in reverse, when the car is lowered to the ground. Hence, if the jack stands are placed on the lower control arms, something will move when the weight of the car is put upon them! Not good! Unless you are using a twin-post chassis lift, which contacts and maintains "road load" on the lower control arms.

Look in the manuals for the "Jack Points" for the car, but NOT using a bumper lift jack. The front of the FSM has that listed in the "lubrication points" pages, in the front.

Lifting and jack-standing a UniBody-construction car can be different from a body-frame car, due to what is "unloaded" when the body is raised. Different force vectors involved and where they stop. Different for the '68 and prior UniBodies from the '69 and later cars, I suspect, Or might the real transition year be '70 and later? End result, the car should be a stable on the jack stands as if it's sitting on the ground--period -- no room for error. And the

CBODY67

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. commando1

commando1 Mr. Normal FCBO Gold Member

Just put the stands on the stub frame.
    Not brain surgery....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jct

jct Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

When i do that my doors doesn't really want to close

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

So, tell me? What good does that do if your trying to replace the shocks or anything else with a now loaded suspension? You can't! I don't know where you get your info from, but your whole post is off the mark!
    Depending on weather or not you want the suspension loaded or not! Position the stands where you want them, body or suspension. Lower the vehicle and give it a good shake and bump to see how stable it is before getting under it.

6. jct

JOIvqMz_d.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wonderwagon

Wonderwagon Well-Known Member

be aware, depending on the stub frames metal thickness due to rusting, the area under the body pan where it bolts up may crush. I tried doing this and it started to dimple in where the jack stand made contact. Perhaps an incorrect placement or?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jct

Says nothing about jack stands, I'd use jack stands where the hydraulic lift setting would be
    Screenshot_20190915-142050.png Screenshot_20190915-141921(1).png Screenshot_20190915-141931(1).png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

I guess I've been fortunate to have good floor jacks that will stay up for extended periods of time. To do front shocks, I'd raise the car by the front crossmember and leave it there while I did the front shock replacement. I was "gentle" in lowering the car back down onto jackstands (in the same location as the body lift points in the service manual). Paying attention to body moans and groans from "flex" (as mentioned above!). On my '70 DH43, a different story due to the different style of front structure and how it relates to the underbody. Not unlike my '77 Camaro, for example. No issues with doors not closing well, either. THAT is why I made the distinction as to model year of C-body being dealt with! Our experiences, obviously, have been different, which I respect.

CBODY67

10. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

I've never felt comfortable placing the jack stands in this position with my convertible...

I have always used the lower control arms to mimic road load & placed a pair under the axle leaf spring plate in the back

I agree with Stubs on this but it can be done safely if you take your time checking the stands as you allow the suspension to drop onto the stands.

If any suspension work needs to be done then it's a whole other ball game depending on what you plan to do...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. jct

Agreed, every car is different

12. MrMoparCHP

MrMoparCHP Senior Member

In the front I put them under the lower control arm socket (where the torsion bar goes).
    In the rear I put them under the differential housing.

Alan

• Like Like x 1