Correct Thermo

Boyd

Reaction score
I have a 65 NYer. The previous owner installed a 440 in it. I have decided to replace the thermostat for Christmas. The Current on is a 160. Went to Advanced and AutoZone and of corse they can only look up part numbers by Model, Make and engine size. Since there is no 440 listed, they don't know what to sell me. I picked up a 180. Am I on the right tract?

180 was OEM production for all of the engines back then. Whether for a 413 (which it came with) or for a 440, or any other Chrysler engine for that matter. When emissions controls got more pervalent, then 185-195 t/stats became "the norm". You should be fine with the 180.

What is the issue you were seeking to fix? Just curious.

CBODY67

Good Afternoon and Merry Christmas
A 180 stat should work fine. As long as the radiator, heater hoses, heater core and associated valves are in good shape you should have no problem.
I have a 180 stat in my '65 Newport 383 with aftermarket A/C and have no issues.
Omni

Thank you gentlemen and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Yorker New Year! Glad I checked, but the 160 in there wasn't the one. On to check other things in that area.

I use a 180 in both my cars with no issues. Put it in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer and watch it open. You might go through 2 or 3 before you get a good one.

The OEM style Stant thermostats are still available online. 180 Degree is part number 14413-05066381 from www.partsgeek.com. Most of what you are going to find at autobone and carcrap is China junk.

Dave

Back