Crankcase inlet air cleaner removal

Analog Kid

Reaction score
So according to the FSM, the crankcase inlet air cleaner should be removable from the valve cover. However I've been tugging and pulling on it but it doesn't want to budge.

What's the trick here?

IMG_3200.JPG

Agree with the hardened grommets situation! Try pulling at an angle rather than just "straight up". This would be better if the covers were still attached to the head/engine? Possibly, as a new grommet might be desired anyway, you might cut the inner lip off from the inside of the valve cover?

The reason for desired removal? Just curious.

CBODY67

The reason for desired removal? Just curious.

Well....I'm worried it might be clogged up.

I can see some sludge in the inlet vent and poking around in there it feels spongey. I'm assuming there is some type of filter or baffle inside. Not sure if that can be cleaned or if I should just replace the whole thing.

Although the replacements I see online look different and I'd like to keep as much originality here as possible.

Squirt a bunch of silicone spray around the base, then get a big screwdriver and wedge it between the base and the valve cover. It will take some prying, twisting, yanking and cussing, but it will come out. If you can get it up far enough, cutting the grommet might help.

As was said, replace the grommet.

Well....I'm worried it might be clogged up.

I can see some sludge in the inlet vent and poking around in there it feels spongey. I'm assuming there is some type of filter or baffle inside. Not sure if that can be cleaned or if I should just replace the whole thing.

Although the replacements I see online look different and I'd like to keep as much originality here as possible.

Thanks for the reply and information.

There is probably either a baffle or a type of filter. The replacements probably reflect a model year's item from a newer vehicle with a similar item on them. I fully understand the desire to keep things as they were produced.

If you might have seen the GM FB-59 filter they used on their air cleaners, to filter air going to the crankcase, that's probably what's inside the item you have. It probably can be cleaned, via backspraying brake cleaner into the bottom side (with it turned upside down), but getting a "complete" clean might take a while. Using a parts washer might work better, but still no way to know it's completely clean inside.

On the other hand, as long as the filter flows air, plus that if any dislodged items from the filter might remain on top of the filter, they won't fall into the cylinder heads, some things to consider. In other words, flush it until it what comes out is clean, remove any residual oil around the seams, clean it up, add a new grommet, repaint as needed, then reinstall.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

I used to soak and flush out my breather in Varsol.
Let it dry overnight and add a few drops of motor oil.Done
This was actually mentioned in some FSM back in the day.

Back