Cranks but no spark.

Cori Danielski

Reaction score
Hi there!
My husband and I recently bought back his Fury III (he sold it and missed it so buch we bought it back )
When he went to check on it, it was having trouble starting. He noticed a lose connection to the coil. Tightened it and it started. A few days later we went back and it wouldnt start again. He found more lose and backward connections and he drove it home. Started it at how a few times started up, now it wont crank. We've replaced spark plugs, engine codule, coil, ballast and battery. We've cleaned terminals to ballast, and battery. Negative grounds to battery replaced.
He knows this car pretty well, but we can't seem to figure where the connection is lost. We tested for spark and have none. So we know the problem, but not why! Any thougts?

Hi there!
My husband and I recently bought back his Fury III (he sold it and missed it so buch we bought it back )
When he went to check on it, it was having trouble starting. He noticed a lose connection to the coil. Tightened it and it started. A few days later we went back and it wouldnt start again. He found more lose and backward connections and he drove it home. Started it at how a few times started up, now it wont crank. We've replaced spark plugs, engine codule, coil, ballast and battery. We've cleaned terminals to ballast, and battery. Negative grounds to battery replaced.
He knows this car pretty well, but we can't seem to figure where the connection is lost. We tested for spark and have none. So we know the problem, but not why! Any thougts?

You say the engine won't crank. Does it turn over but just not start, or does it not turn over at all ? If it won't turn over, I think you are looking at bad connection / cable from the battery to the starter / relay - or it could be just a bad starter.

Again please tell us the year, if it has electronic ignition, and if the fury does not crank now. The older Chrysler starters could not be cranked for a long time without doing damage.

This is a 72 Fury III, the engine cranks but car doesn't start. He would be able to explain better but I am trying to find the answers so he can work on it at night when he gets home. I will try to provide better details when I can. Maybe the starter went out from prolonged cranking when the coil wires were lose?

How did you go? If still an issue please confirm voltage at coil when cranking. I struck similar issue on a Phoenix, it was "dodgy" contact in key switch. The IGN2 did not always make.

Voltage regulator on firewall gave me alot of problems with no start/ no crank replaced and have never had another issue

has anyone looked at the starter relay that feeds the starter it controls cranking of the engine , could be playing a roll in this issue .

Are you getting power to the coil while cranking?

First question, does the car have electronic Ignition, or points? Next thing to find out is the problem on the primary, (power) or secondary side of the system. Take a test light and turn the key on, (no cranking) check for power on the positive side of the coil, light should be dim, turn to start, light should be bright. If this is the case the problem is in the secondary side. do these tests and get back to us.

If it electronic ignition, the contact between the spark box (ecu) where it is bolted on and the firewall or fender might have lost it's ground connection. Unbolt the ecu and take some sandpaper and sand the under side of the ecu where the bolts go through, it may be a little rusty. Next sand on the firewall or fender, wherever the ecu bolts to, and sand around the bolt holes to get rid of any rust and make a better ground connection when the ecu is bolted back on. I have had this happen a number of times.

Thank you everyone! After testing everything, including distributer and replacing multiple parts..we finally replaced the distributer. Now Horton (kids named him) is on the road again. We tested the distributer, and everything appeared to be running fine..I am sure my husband can explain the reason better than I can. Lol Either way..we're happy to see Horton on the open road as a daily driver!

Thanks all!

Back