Cranks, kicks over but wont stay running.

Erieaddict

Reaction score
I have a 1969 plymouth sport fury convertible. 383, pertronics ignition, everything else is stock. The car runs awesome. I ordered in a new windshield wiper motor today and installed it. So cool to have working wipers that park properly. Went to start the car and it kicks over like it wants to start, but wont catch and keep running. I tried replacing the ballast resistor with the spare and still the same problem. Any ideas?

By any chance did you have the ignition on for a long time while trying the wipers? The first version of the Pertronix are known to fry the internals if the key is left on with the engine not running. This was changed in the Ignitor II so that can't happen.

But, if that's not the case, the first step is to check for 12 volts at the + terminal of the coil.

This is assuming that the car has gas etc.

You should also lean over the carb and see if the accelerator pump squirts gas when you open the throttle

If all else fails, check the Pertronix unit for a blackened spot on the exterior, sure sign it is toast.

Dave

Pertronix needs 12 volts to run. You can skip the ballast resistor altogether.
The ballast resistor has 12 volts going in and 9 volts coming out. Not enough to properly run the Pertronix....learned that one the hard way.

Got it corrected today. I must have bumped the connector next to the wiper connector on the bulk head. It has the blue and white wire in it that cut the ignition on run. Cleaned the bulkhead around 4 years ago, so it is in good shape. Thanks for your advice!!

Back