Cross Ram intake

ideologist

Reaction score
Does anyone here run a Cross Ram intake? What carbs do you run? Can I see installed photos, would like to get an idea of what goes into these and how they sit under the hood

Does anyone here run a Cross Ram intake? What carbs do you run? Can I see installed photos, would like to get an idea of what goes into these and how they sit under the hood
You building a show pony a racer car or a fun street cruiser? Cross ram looks cool but the linkage and making it run okay on the street can be a challenge.

I ran triple two’s on my AAR in the 80’s and it sucked. I swapped to a big four barrel and made it more (Lol!!!) reliable but gas mileage was still about 6mpg uphill or downhill. It was basically a stock eliminator I ran on the street. I’m not bad mouthing multi carbs they are super cool just my opinion that once big CFM carbs became available multi carb set ups became more show than go on the street. A cross ram will draw people like flies on cruise night but it does have its drawbacks.

Howdy! Here are some photos of my '61 300G with its factory 413 cross rams . These cars are fast, big on torque! Carbs are factory CARTER AFB 2903S and these were rebuilt to show quality two months ago. These are identical carbs. They are adjusted per FSM 300G addendum. There's no problem with the car and its drivability but it is a pig, about 7mpg around town. I had a 300F, same set up and same mpg's. You don't drive these with gas mileage in mind! Hope this helps! bob
:rofl:
300G1.png
300G CarbL.png
300G CarbR.png

Howdy! Here are some photos of my '61 300G with its factory 413 cross rams . These cars are fast, big on torque! Carbs are factory CARTER AFB 2903S and these were rebuilt to show quality two months ago. These are identical carbs. They are adjusted per FSM 300G addendum. There's no problem with the car and its drivability but it is a pig, about 7mpg around town. I had a 300F, same set up and same mpg's. You don't drive these with gas mileage in mind! Hope this helps! bob
View attachment 365736 View attachment 365737 View attachment 365738
Love these intakes! Been on the prowl for a cheaper one, they are around 1500-2500 depending, but damn they look cool!

There are different engines to which these were affixed. I honestly don't recall the differences/interchangeability so do check on what you buy vs. what your intentions might be. The rams may be different depending on application. One thing for sure, even in the big 300G, when you punch it.........whoooosh!
Good luck!

View attachment 365736 View attachment 365737 View attachment 365738

Nice car Bob. You even have the one year only correct alternator!

Can I see installed photos, would like to get an idea of what goes into these and how they sit under the hood

You have a '65 right? If so, there is a member here ( I can't remember who right off ) that has a cross ram set up on a '65 or 66. If I remember right he had to cut/notch his fender wells for it to fit.

As LocuMob indicated, my '66 Newport has a ram induction set up on it and I had to notch the right inner fender for clearance. The other issue was brakes. The intake on the left side doesn't provide clearance for a dual master cylinder or booster. I have a single pot non assisted master cylinder on it. Not at all confidence inspiring! I am going to take the rams off, as much as I love the way it runs and the cool factor. And go with a single 4bbl and do the brakes. I did retain the part I removed, but think I'll replace the inner fender ( I bought another one before I started cutting).

20180115_134718.jpg

20180212_103837.jpg

The last picture, showing the opening was before I finished it off. I built a "box" to provide weather protection and sealed it up to the backside of the fenderwell.

If you find a set for sale be sure to check the choke pits as they were famous for rotting out. When that happens, the automatic chokes stop working. There are fender well cutouts on most cross ram applications. The brake booster setup was also different starting in '63 Mopar used a master cylinder mounted to the firewall and a remote booster mounted to the driver side fender well, cross rams were dropped for the '65 model year.

Dave

Edited to correct content

Last edited:
Thanks, that's why I wanted to see photos. I wasn't sure about clearance or general cramped appearance. I am very hesitant to cut holes in the fenders. I'm wondering about one of the aftermarket intakes also, but that Cross Ram sure is neat

(This is the first old Mopar I've ever dug into, so forgive the inexperienced questions)

Let’s all get on the same page with the terminology.

Those beautiful intakes pictured above are called Long Rams. They came on 1960 and 1961 361 and 383 Dodge and Plymouth’s, and 413 Chrysler 300’s. The 361/383 and 413 intakes are identical with the same part numbers.

below is a picture of a cross ram intake, it is one piece and just like any one piece intake the pay are different for 383 and 413, or B and RB engines.

for those that want to say this is anal. No, this is correctly identifying what we are talking about. Thanks!

16E32CE4-8B4D-432E-BAE4-0420D58CF370.jpeg

Last edited:
Also keep in mid that 383 cross rams do not fit on a 413. If you find a set for sale be sure to check the choke pits as they were famous for rotting out. When that happens, the automatic chokes stop working. There are fender well cutouts on most cross ram applications. The brake booster setup was also different starting in '63 Mopar used a master cylinder mounted to the firewall and a remote booster mounted to the driver side fender well, cross rams were dropped for the '65 model year.

Dave
Tell me why a 383 crossram, won't fit on a 413, and vise versa?
They are the same thing.
Where did you come up with that assumption?

Those pictured above are called Long Rams. They came on 1960 and 1961 361 and 383 Dodge and Plymouth’s, and 413 Chrysler 300’s. The 361/383 and 413 intakes are identical with the same part numbers.
They are the same thing.

413 is an RB series engine which is wider and taller. That makes the heads sit farther out, I have not checked the part numbers but the wider engine will have a different angle where the intake mounts to the head.

Dave

413 is an RB series engine which is wider and taller. That makes the heads sit farther out, I have not checked the part numbers but the wider engine will have a different angle where the intake mounts to the head.

Dave
Nope.
Makes no difference to the intake tubes if they are on a RB engine or a LB engine.
Your wrong in your "thinking"

They are the same thing.
361, 383, AND 400 are "B' engines. 413, 426W, AND 440 are "RB" engines. The deck height is higher on an "RB" engine so even though they use the same heads they sit farther apart. (OOOPS, you did say cross rams, my bad).

Dave
the head angle is the same, just further apart. 90 degree V8 engine blocks and the same heads.

Last edited:
Back