Cryptic Radio Writing

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
· 1970 Fury III Convertible with AC: I removed my AM radio because I had removed my dash assembly to replace the pad, repaint the shell, and go through the wiring.

· Radio: when in the car, if the volume was turned almost all the way up, I could hear slight static. The antenna and center dash speaker were connected, but I could not hear any AM radio stations. Judging by the writing that is on the bottom of the radio, I guess that this radio had previous problems. I don’t know how to read what is written there. I was hoping someone could help. Thanks Ben

· I read some other strings and realize the radio can be converted to modern AM/FM by Gary Tayman. Just wondering what the writing means.

· Knobs: the radio knobs pull straight off. The hollow knobs that surround the main radio knobs also pull straight off. Thanks for Zymurgy for your great advice!

· Face plate: I had removed the four ¼ inch screws yesterday. I removed the faceplate today, but was unable to see if any damage had occurred from the front.

· Top plate: removed five ¼ inch screws. Nothing looked burnt or shorted out. See pics below.
20171031_173052.jpg

20171031_173645.jpg

20171031_172803.jpg

20171018_165536.jpg

Try hooking the radio to a different antenna, Mopar's of this era often fractured the small wire in the antenna lead about 2" from where it hooked into the radio from stress flexing. Sometimes you can test for a fracture at this location by pushing in on the antenna lead and moving it back and forth, if you get intermittent radio, you have a bad antenna lead. Since you are getting static noise to the speaker, you probably have a receiver circuit problem if the antenna is not at fault. Look for "cold solder" on the circuit board. Since a repair job was done to this radio, somebody might have gotten careless.

Dave

3-30-90 means March 30, 1990 :)

I am guessing they are service notes that really aren't useful for you, the only other thing is 1 1x10 cone speaker. If you are ready to spend the money go and do the conversion. I feel the internal conversion power is under powered with my top down. The nice part is there are pre-amp inputs. I already added a sub-woofer first go around adding a 4 channel amplifier this winter.

BTW do not buy the usb input it is outdated and worthless. It only works with certain flash drives. I thought I could hook my Ipod through it, so I could keep it charged when playing, but I could not. It has a regular mini jack and it works fine.

Gary did the conversion on my radio. I put a couple Alpine 6x9s in the rear and a new under dash speaker from Custom Autosound (at least that's who I think makes it). It sounds good. No complaints on my end.

Id like to see the other side of the circuit board. I would bet its had a cap job done.

A "cap job" is a common slang term among electronic techs. Typically in these old radios the oil in the electrolytic capacitors dry out and "leak" voltage causing hum. A "cap job" is basically going through and replacing all of them.

I'm surprised how clean this thing is! Some body must have put some work into it.

A "cap job" is a common slang term among electronic techs. Typically in these old radios the oil in the electrolytic capacitors dry out and "leak" voltage causing hum. A "cap job" is basically going through and replacing all of them.

I'm surprised how clean this thing is! Some body must have put some work into it.

I agree. Maybe like Dave says, it's just a bad antenna wire. A pain to replace, but doable.

If I convert to AM/FM will I need an FM antenna?

I agree. Maybe like Dave says, it's just a bad antenna wire. A pain to replace, but doable.

If I convert to AM/FM will I need an FM antenna?

It will work either way. If you still have a telescoping mast, you may need to set it at a different height to get good FM reception as opposed to good AM reception.

Dave

I'm using my "stock" AM antenna through a FM tuner and it works fine. In theory you can receive on anything though, hence tinfoil and coat hangers...

A continuity tester will help you here. You might even be able to find a schematic if you can get a part number. I've had lots of good luck with Sam's Photofacts.

is your antenna securely fastened to the fender?
Sorry, I should have added more specifics. I broke off my antenna by mistake while trying to remove it. More of a loss of balance than anything else. So the antenna has to be replaced. Probably need to replace the wire as well, based on Dave's suggestion, though I haven't checked continuity. I am going to keep the AM radio for now, since there might not be anything wrong with it. Glad to have advice on which antenna to get. Thanks.

I got an OEM antenna from Gary (Wollfen). I pulled the wheel well to install it.
Parts
20180116_173452.jpg

Base View
20180116_164345.jpg

Tighten Base Nut (female thread)
20180215_160522.jpg

No Speakers, so I haven't tested the radio yet.
20180215_160843.jpg

I have a 70 fury convertible as well . i'll be going down the same road as you with my radio some day. wondering if you have a source on a rear seat speaker grill . let me know .thanks and good luck !

Back