Curious on Block year vs. Car year... 65 Sport Fury..64 383 block

Ok, I got my eyes on the block pad today. I can't get my phone in there for a pic, but it reads...

383 and an iron cross
10 6 2
(Blank due thick paint) HP

Fender tag as well...

View attachment 396750

Knowing the letter in front of the 383 would nail it but let’s presume it’s an A meaning the engine was assembled Oct 6th, 1964. Making it totally acceptable for a January 1965 built car.

Dual point ignitions can be found in various years, assemblies, body styles and applications.

Here’s what the parts book shows for 65
D21AD008-EC2A-4595-A6DD-9E16ED3F5D31.jpeg

I used to like visiting the Hershey's Chocolate factory in Oakdale, CA, before they closed it. Was much better than doing so in Pennsylvania, because you got to go into the factory!

Was there one June and they were making Hershey's Kisses in Christmas colors of red, yellow, and green. In June??? I made a comment about the candy becoming old by the time December rolls around. The guide said, "You think we have time to wait until the Season to make these?" Made sense, and I felt rather stupid.

Same thing applies to engine blocks.

Same reason why you can find 440 blocks in 1981 Motorhomes, even though production stopped in 1978. Same for AMC 401 motors. They ceased after '75, yet the one I pulled for the Gremlin came form a '77 Wagoneer.

A couple of sources show this is a Chrysler, not Plymouth, application. Compare the date code on the base of the carb to your engine assembly date. The carb date should be ~1-3 months ahead of the assembly.

4200S Carburetor Info Page
REMANUFACTURED CARTER 4 BBL AFB CARBURETOR (OEM# 4200 S) For 1964-1967 Chrysler Imperial 384″ 413″ – $150 CORE REFUND

From the day I started looking closer at my motor, I felt I had a Chrysler block. I don't know why I would have one in there, but odd things like the oil cap and PCV were blue, when I repainted them black, I sanded them down...and it was blue to the metal, so it's not like someone painted them wrong. My oil dipstick shoots straight out like a Chrysler block. I have a Chrysler carb, as well as I have a small unsilenced air cleaner like a Chrysler would have. The carb spring bracket looked like one from a Chrysler, and the battery negative was bolted as a Chrysler would be.

So these small oddities lend me to think that the motor was either replaces at some point with a year correct block from a Chrysler, or somehow this block was left over from 1964 and got put in the car.

Either way, it's now looking like a Plymouth block should and no one would know the difference anyway. Whomever put the motor in took the time and care to make sure it wasn't just done haphazardly.

Back