Custom cars

furyus 67

Reaction score
I wanted to continue the discussion started on Toms thread ,without hijacking it. Big John I couldn't agree with you more about Sam and George. Without using Google , and if I remember correctly Sam Barris 1st did a drop top, the 49. I'd swear he did another merc (hard top)that was his before the Hirohata merc. Of what I read was true, he was the 1st to chop. As a kid I came across a stack of Hotrod and custom car maths from the 50's and 60's. That's wear I first learned of Sam Barris. I remember one magazine had channeling instructions for all of the popular cars of the period. It showed wear to cut and how much. My God would take some sack to take a saw to the entire body of a car!! I also had the debut of the beatnik bandit. I am a Roth lover also. Were there more Sams cars??

Sam Barris and his 49 Mercury
Sam-barris-1949-mercury1.jpg

His '40 Mercury

Sam-barris-1940-mercury.jpg

His '50 Buick.

Sam-barris-1950-buick.jpg

My favorite Mopar custom. Clif Inman's '57. This was done by Joe Wilhelm.

Clif-inman-1957-chrysler.jpg
Imagine today someone buying a real nice' 57, and turning it into what you see above.
Now imagine that person joining FCBO...
http://smileys.newbeginningsnetwork.com/piwigo/galleries/RUDE_ADULT/****/****-storm.gif

Bob Hirohata and his '51 Mercury. This car was done at the Barris shop. It was restored and still looks the same. Sadly, Hirohata was murdered in his front yard.

Hirohata_merc2.jpg

CCC-Hirohata_Mercury-02-W.jpg

Imagine today someone buying a real nice' 57, and turning it into what you see above.
Now imagine that person joining FCBO...
http://smileys.newbeginningsnetwork.com/piwigo/galleries/RUDE_ADULT/****/****-storm.gif
True, but this car was done back in 1960. It would have just been a 3 year old used car at the time, not even a letter car or anything like that.

It would be like cutting up an 2013 Charger now.

That Buick is seriously channeled! Man I wish I still had those magazines!! That Mopar is beautiful!! Looks similar to this one.
image.jpeg
This fury is pretty sweet too
image.jpeg
Thanks for entertaining me with this one John, not many here would. My grandfather started taking me to car shows at a very young age and I fell in love with the wild ones! The Barris bro's, Gene Winfield , Ed Roth, Bob Fryze. They were all pioneers in their times. I drooled over this merc for a while
image.jpeg
Sh'boom is another one of my favorites
image.jpeg
it's a 50 ford that's well hidden!!

I met Ed Roth once. I talked to him for about 10 minutes. A genuinely nice guy.

I met Ed Roth once. I talked to him for about 10 minutes. A genuinely nice guy.
Jealous!!!! I've heard that from a few people. He was nuts!! In a totally good way!! Had a mind like no other! The beatnik is one of my favorite cars too! I read a story about him getting into a fight with the L.A hells angels pres and winning lol. Got out of the motorcycle business after that!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The brown one is barris ( I think) I didnt get a pic of the info

Glovebox is signed

Last edited:
The 1st is Bob Fryze merc, not a fan of the doors..
image.jpeg
This is Cadzilla. My absolute favorite of the custom cars! I've been drooling over this since I was a kid!
image.png
image.jpeg
Another sweet one is ShBoom gone wild.1250 hp....
image.jpeg

Some pics I took at the Darryl Starbird museum a few years ago.

Some of these you guys will recognize from your model car days.

IMG_1944_zps7a4366ae.jpg

IMG_1946_zps9ba42fcb.jpg

IMG_1949_zps8cbc725f.jpg

IMG_1953_zps9bb14bf3.jpg

It was a very difficult place to take pictures in and some of these cars really are kinda ugly, but they were still cool.

IMG_1967_zpsd1282100.jpg

IMG_1978_zpsc3c11ee0.jpg

IMG_1976_zpsc1fd335d.jpg

IMG_1975_zpsb673173f.jpg

Back