Custom Powder Coating

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FCBO Vendor
Reaction score
If you haven't chosen your powder coater for the teardown season yet, please take a moment to check out some of my work.

I specialize in Mopar parts restorations, custom one-offs on most anything metal up to 6'9" including art projects, and pioneered my industry in multi-color powder coating many years ago. I've had a backlog since 2009 (2-5 months on average) but guarantee you'll love it when you get it back!

20201127_233814.jpg
34.jpg
38.jpg
37.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
44.jpg
42.jpg
45.jpg
20201127_233756.jpg

These are just a few samples to ping your interest. Visit my website at Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Exceptional Custom Powder Coating for more. The FAQ section is the best place for new customers to start; it goes way beyond generic "What are your hours?" kinds of questions, outlines my unique philosophy and gives you a great overview of what you can expect.

Some of you may also know my shop celebrates its 15th Anniversary next May.

I am adding 15% to the face value of all Phoenix Specialty Coatings Gift Certificates purchased this holiday season as a little bonus. You (or your significant other) choose the amount and I'll boost it up! I can mail it to you, or send it digitally for you to print out at home. Use this link to buy a Gift Certificate:

Paypal.me/CudaChick

Feel free to call me after 10:00 a.m. or send me a Direct Message if you have questions or want to discuss the details of your idea. You dream it up and I'll make it happen at a price that will surprise you. FCBO Forum members, Honored Military (veterans / retired / enlisted), Law Enforcement and First Responders are entitled to a valuable discount too!

Thanks for your valuable support FCBO!! I wouldn't be here without YOU. :usflag:

Looks very nice! Isn't Powder Coating tougher against chips and scratches than conventional plating and painting proceedures?

It is until a break in the coating exists. Then, it will rust underneath and peel off easier than Saran Wrap.

I have to guess you share the same opinion as a lot of people who have been "victimized" by commercial powder coating on manufactured pieces rather than had anything professionally powder coated @3175375. So have I, specifically a Harbor Freight welding cart that started peeling a couple months after purchase.

Proper metal prep is absolutely CRUCIAL, and makes up about 95% of any job being done right versus just being coated.

This link is part of a long thread on The Garage Journal Forums. Please take a look at it with special attention devoted to the Before Photos. I'm sure they'll look a lot like what you're talking about: flaking powder coming off in sheets revealing shiny areas and rust/corrosion underneath.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7377653&postcount=21

That is NOT what I produce here at my shop and never will. There are worlds of differences between a commercial manufacturer's finish and a job done right. Crucifying an entire industry is not only narrowing the playing field but akin to trusting your triple bypass or corporate tax return to a rookie.

I'd LOVE to be the person who changes your mind about the process. And in twenty or thirty years -- when it still looks as fabulous as it did the day you opened the box -- we can enjoy a great laugh about it.

I have to guess you share the same opinion as a lot of people who have been "victimized" by commercial powder coating on manufactured pieces rather than had anything professionally powder coated @3175375. So have I, specifically a Harbor Freight welding cart that started peeling a couple months after purchase.

Proper metal prep is absolutely CRUCIAL, and makes up about 95% of any job being done right versus just being coated.

This link is part of a long thread on The Garage Journal Forums. Please take a look at it with special attention devoted to the Before Photos. I'm sure they'll look a lot like what you're talking about: flaking powder coming off in sheets revealing shiny areas and rust/corrosion underneath.

The Garage Journal Board - View Single Post - powder coating?

That is NOT what I produce here at my shop and never will. There are worlds of differences between a commercial manufacturer's finish and a job done right. Crucifying an entire industry is not only narrowing the playing field but akin to trusting your triple bypass or corporate tax return to a rookie.

I'd LOVE to be the person who changes your mind about the process. And in twenty or thirty years -- when it still looks as fabulous as it did the day you opened the box -- we can enjoy a great laugh about it.
I simply have shared my experience.
Every piece of material that has been powder coated has failed in the way that I have described.
I may take you up on your offer. However, do you have any examples of pieces that have been exposed to the elements for 10+ years?

Straight up, the vast majority of my work has traditionally been on engine and brake/suspension parts that aren't subjected to heavy use or left out on the beach for decades enduring salt spray. What I can tell you is that some test panels done for a company called LiquiGuard have been undergoing continuous salt spray testing since 2009 and still have never failed according to the biannual reports they send me.

I can sit here all day and tell you how fabulous it is but would much prefer my past customers do it instead, especially those whose work was done here over ten years ago. They're the ones who will have true unbiased credibility and whose opinions matter much more than mine.

The vast number of the customers who shared their feedback over the last fifteen years are from FABO, FBBO and Facebook; I'm certain there's a lot of member overlap here but I don't know their FCBO handles.

@Toolmanmike might pop in with some comments about his Commando valve covers, one of which had been the victim of a battery explosion. I invite ALL the others who see this to share their candid opinions as well.

I like the doilies...... :rolleyes:

Not doilies, just old lace.

Since my industry is dominated by men, I've always tried to be distinctive. The lace backgrounds tie in with a nickname donned many years ago from @rumblefish360 on FABO, the feminine "Powder ****" theme, the high heels, and of course the most popular Customer Appreciation Gift ever:
20201127_233733.jpg

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB. :D

Speaking as a customer of Leanna's (CudaChick1968): she makes powder walk, talk, dance and sing. Seriously!

I placed my order for the PSC 2021 Powder **** Calendars this morning. The proof looks fantastic and I can't wait to see them!

I haven't made a list of the customers whose projects appear yet -- I was up til 4 a.m. finishing it lol :wideyed: -- but @Clay Harrison's custom Mopar turquoise layout is in it.

If you want one, reserve yours now. I only ordered a few extras and expect they'll sell out quickly.

Paypal.me/CudaChick/30

I'm covering the cost of shipping to continental U.S. members. So far, two are going to Canada and one will be heading all the way to Belgium!

The owners of these beauties have feature months that coincide with their birthdays.

DSC00442.JPG
thumbnail.jpeg

The calendars are scheduled to come in at the end of December.

Can you powder coat die cast model cars?

I can get a 2019 Redeye Challenger die cast car in Red but I want it to be White Knuckle.

Is that possible or is it too small and complicated?

Screenshot_20201205-191042_Chrome.jpg

The smallest pieces I've ever done were tiny, a charm and a 2-tone necklace which were both about a 20th of the size of a Bic lighter. Next up from that was a 5-color grille emblem for a patriotic '76 Chevy Vega roughly the size of a matchbook. I'm pretty sure both are pictured on my website, most likely in the Other Car Parts and Miscellaneous Metals sections of the Gallery.

I've had a few guys ask over the years about coating Hot Wheels cars but no one has ever sent one for me to try.

Everything that cannot withstand 425 degrees would need to be removed first. It would save a lot of masking time if it was just the car body.

Keep in mind they may be pot metal; see if a magnet will stick to it first and get in touch before you mail it if it doesn't so we can go over the possible pitfalls.

New Powder ****!

This big spread was a good deal of work from metal condition to powder (Before Pic included).

IMG_20210316_154915~2.jpg

I call this hue "Petty Blue on steroids," this time contrasted by a gloss white and a flat black to match his intake. It loves lighting and the transitions are really intense.

IMG_20210316_155143_1CS~2.jpg

IMG_20210316_155319~2.jpg

IMG_20210316_155039.jpg

Dream up an idea for your own project and get in touch! It's more reasonable than you may think. Gold Members, Military and Law Enforcement enjoy a valuable labor discount!

IMG_20210316_160135~2.jpg

The FAQ on my website is tailored to new customers and is the best place to start. Chances are good your parts started out just like this Air Force retiree's did:

IMG_20210202_183923.jpg

My shop celebrates its 15th anniversary on May 31 thanks to gearheads like you! I'll remind you what craftsmanship and amazing Customer Service is and never take you for granted.

Thanks for your support!!!

Leanna
731-613-9192 (after 10:00 a.m. Central US)
Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Exceptional Custom Powder Coating

I've never tried. Getting the tiles to hold a ground would be the biggest hurdle.

Yes, I realize the electrical conductivity issue. I ask the question because I've seen people refer to powder-coating non-metallic bath fixtures. Something akin to reglazing would probably be the right term. At least half the process (using heat to melt pigment) would be the same.

I know a guy who's coated a cinder block before, and have seen tubs done by colleagues too, though never up close -- it's always from a few feet back which can hide too much.

What are you hoping to accomplish with it? Are you just looking to change the color on otherwise great-condition tile? I'm also assuming it's still loose in the box / not already used with a bunch of grout still attached.

I will definitely look into it if you want ... but will tell you straight up you'll probably want someone with experience in tile if in fact it can be done.

In 22 years at this now (with 8 as a hobbyist working only on my own '68 Barracuda parts before opening my shop in 2007), I never practiced on people's parts and have no intention of starting with you. Unless you don't mind being the "Guinea Pig" and enjoying a reduced rate for the learning curve.

Back