Custom steering column in 67-68 Chryslers

Dmopower

Reaction score
Has anyone had a custom steering column put in their 67-68 Chrysler or c body's? I'm looking to do this but I cant find one for a c body. Any help is appreciated.

You mean an aftermarket steering column from a company such as Ididit or Flaming River? Would be similar to doing an installation on a street rod, just a different vehicle, in theory. Would probably need to cross the (typically GM) wiring harness color codes into the Chrysler coding where everything connects. Would most probably be best with a floor shifter, too!

Which vehicle are you considering this "enhancement" on? If the vehicle could have come factory with a tilt wheel column, that would be the easiest to rebuild/refurbish and install.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You mean an aftermarket steering column from a company such as Ididit or Flaming River? Would be similar to doing an installation on a street rod, just a different vehicle, in theory. Would probably need to cross the (typically GM) wiring harness color codes into the Chrysler coding where everything connects. Would most probably be best with a floor shifter, too!

Which vehicle are you considering this "enhancement" on? If the vehicle could have come factory with a tilt wheel column, that would be the easiest to rebuild/refurbish and install.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Im putting it in a 67 300 floor shift. I have a factory tilt wheel I will sell if I can get what I'm looking for. I'll call Ididit today. I see summit advertises one for Mopars but it says it works for all the body styles. I don't know how that works. Do the have extensions, adapters for the extra length? That's what I need to know. I just figured someone had already done this and would chime in.

Thanks for the help.

Ididit and FR do make some model-specific tilt columns, but usually for more popular applications as Camaros, 55 Chevies, and similar. Otherwise, it's a "measure" situation for their universal units. If you have not already done so, you probably need to go into their website and look around. While you're at is, I might recommend that (under-dash space available) to also onsider an upgrade to one of the electric power steering columns.

What are the concerns with your existing column? Just curious.

Take care,
CBODY67

Ididit and FR do make some model-specific tilt columns, but usually for more popular applications as Camaros, 55 Chevies, and similar. Otherwise, it's a "measure" situation for their universal units. If you have not already done so, you probably need to go into their website and look around. While you're at is, I might recommend that (under-dash space available) to also onsider an upgrade to one of the electric power steering columns.

What are the concerns with your existing column? Just curious.

Take care,
CBODY67

I have no issues with my current column. It needs a turn signal switch replaced is all. I'm building a semi Pro street 67 300 with a 68 300 front end and side chrome. I have a 542 for it low gears in trans and GV OD. I have customized the console a bit with an armreast from a dodge and added a Hurst Pro-matic shifter and wanted a new sharp steering column to compliment to look. New electric steering columns?

87512264_2348948271873934_6377087833881968640_n.jpg

88958886_2348948365207258_8249528068373217280_n.jpg

This is what I'm leaning towards. After speaking with them at Ididit the conclusion is the 33.25" column I will have to use my upper and lower mounts with the column. They said just get the column through the firewall 2" no more if possible. Then it's just a matter of 2 ujoints and a custom length splined shaft. He said that was the easiest part. FYI. The factory column is 2.25" Tube going through the firewall. Make sure you don't get a 2" column which is common. This column starts the steeringwheel bolting 2" closer to the driver. So a 2" dish wheel will put it in the same place as a factory wheel when both are all the way in. The factory wheel has a 3 to 4" dish. I will post pics when it's done with an update. Thanks for the help!

idt-1180300010_jg_xl.jpg

s406230243812580366_p27_i2_w2560 (1).jpeg

If you do this conversion make sure you use the Chrysler plunge system at the steering box. Otherwise you could lock up your steering. Never use U Joints.

If you do this conversion make sure you use the Chrysler plunge system at the steering box. Otherwise you could lock up your steering. Never use U Joints.

I was going to use both u joints. The column will be the very same angle as factory which is almost a strait line. I'm not arguing. I am hoping to get a more detailed explanation and after you look at this pic. I'm not a tech by any means but ujoint rarely have issues when not exceeding certain limits. The ujoints I'm looking at are odidit pieces. Thank you for your help.

162498966_240216927807744_8376501203697208593_n.jpg

I was going to use both u joints. The column will be the very same angle as factory which is almost a strait line. I'm not arguing. I am hoping to get a more detailed explanation and after you look at this pic. I'm not a tech by any means but ujoint rarely have issues when not exceeding certain limits. The ujoints I'm looking at are odidit pieces. Thank you for your help.

View attachment 447144

The design from the factory is for crash protection. The coupler is designed to absorb movement in a crash. The U Joints will not give you this protection.

The design from the factory is for crash protection. The coupler is designed to absorb movement in a crash. The U Joints will not give you this protection.

I understand that. Most of these aren't crash rated. Being it's a convertible I'm not much looking to crash the car. But the issue of locking up bothers me. Is it less of a concern after seeing how strait it is?

I understand that. Most of these aren't crash rated. Being it's a convertible I'm not much looking to crash the car. But the issue of locking up bothers me. Is it less of a concern after seeing how strait it is?
You are missing the point. You would be better off to find a floor shift column for your car. But I am done, it is your car, and you don't want advice when you ask for it.

You are missing the point. You would be better off to find a floor shift column for your car. But I am done, it is your car, and you don't want advice when you ask for it.

I asked for advise as to weather it locking up is still an concern or not. I do want advise. That's why I asked the question. Which you completely side stepped to push an agenda for whatever reason. If are the joints locking up still a concern? is to complicated I have concerns about you being a Tech. It's literally a yes no. or ignore situation. But you don't want, can't answer the question. You want to dictate. ;) Thanks for the help.

1967 was the first year for an energy-absorbing/collapsible steering column on C-body cars,
with an internal column section of expanded metal for the "crush" protection.,

By comparison, our '69 1/2 ton Chevy pickup, had a section (under hood section) that was two pieces of steel rod, one which would slide inside of the outer section for the collapsing function. Perhaps something of this nature might be used in the new column's "intermediate shaft" section (between the u-joints)?

CBODY67

1967 was the first year for an energy-absorbing/collapsible steering column on C-body cars,
with an internal column section of expanded metal for the "crush" protection.,

By comparison, our '69 1/2 ton Chevy pickup, had a section (under hood section) that was two pieces of steel rod, one which would slide inside of the outer section for the collapsing function. Perhaps something of this nature might be used in the new column's "intermediate shaft" section (between the u-joints)?

CBODY67
They make them for the Mopar's that will bolt right in and are collapsible but they don't have tele also. I'm familiar with the factory collapsible steering column and the safety aspect of it all. Your sleeved idea is a very good one since there is going to be a shaft anyway and it nearly strait. I'm certain a machine shop can build that for me if Ididit does not already offer one.

How concerned would you be with the joints locking up?
Thanks you.

U-joints locking up? Such joints have been used in circle track racing for decades, as I recall. Nothing new about that. Just get some high-quality items so they can have some longevity in the mix. Ultimate life might depend upon if the needle bearings are sealed or can be lubed every so often, plus protection from "grit/moisture intrusion". Or at least are generic enough they might be sourced from a local dirt track car supply vendor, if not Ididit.

Take care,
CBODY67

U-joints locking up? Such joints have been used in circle track racing for decades, as I recall. Nothing new about that. Just get some high-quality items so they can have some longevity in the mix. Ultimate life might depend upon if the needle bearings are sealed or can be lubed every so often, plus protection from "grit/moisture intrusion". Or at least are generic enough they might be sourced from a local dirt track car supply vendor, if not Ididit.

Take care,
CBODY67
Thank you for the help.

Back