Custom steering wheel issue, 68 newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
I bought a custom steering wheel I really like. Didn't do enough research before I bought it on depth. The stock steering wheel angles out away from the column. The new one is just flat so when I tried to install it my fingers almost touch the dash and it hits the turn signal. They offer a matching chrome spacer that adds one inch but concerned that still isn't enough. They don't have a 2 inch spacer but did have a black 3 inch spacer. A 3 inch would likely make it sit about an inch closer to my body than the stock steering wheel position. Any thoughts what I should do? Here is a crude pic. Lol

20190130_072700.jpg

Sell it ( the custom steering wheel ) Safety first , the threads on the column won’t be long enough to properly secure a 2-3 inch spacer and your steering wheel. If you get into an accident because your custom steering wheel didn’t work properly you will be totally at fault. Maybe there is something Ma Mopar made that is close to what you like and fits properly.

Almost all of the aftermarket wheels will be "flat". The factory "deep dish" steering wheels started with Ford in about 1955, as a part of their "Lifeguard Design" safety orientation of steering wheels and padded instrument panels. The deep dish is supposed to catch the driver in the event of a sudden, unrestrained deceleration, OF the displacement of the steering column toward the driver. It's more than just a fancy way to build a steering wheel! In a time when seat belts were optional, rather than standard, too.

In order to keep the turn signal stalk and shift lever near the driver's hands, they were angled out to match the steering wheel "grip" location. Which makes a "flat" wheel have the problems you noted. The Chrysler "Tuff" wheel option, circa 1970 might have a little offset, but would still be pretty much "flat". Repros and Grant look-alikes are available. BUT there might be some factory/repro items to space it out better. Only thing is that the rear diameter of that wheel might not be the same as your existing factory wheel.

Just curious, are you wanting a custom look or just something different? Reason I ask is that you might take your stock wheel to a quality upholstery shop and get them to put some leather covering on it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm looking for a custom look, flashy. Not factory fyi. It's a forever sharp flame steering wheel.

I'm looking for a custom look, flashy. Not factory fyi. It's a forever sharp flame steering wheel.
Like this?
51TOW6Q0tEL.jpg

Outstanding, I would definitely toss it... or maybe build a wine rack out of it...:rolleyes:
wine-rack-own-ship-steering-wheel.jpg

I have a different set of priorities... and problems... I've just finished my Grailing journey of many years by acquiring a nice UNCRACKED T&T Rim Blow wheel, but it's the wrong color...
p1260437-jpg.252172

Put it on, then get the three arms cherry red with a oxy-acetylene torch and pull. Make sure you have your nut tight.

Put it on, then get the three arms cherry red with a oxy-acetylene torch and pull. Make sure you have your nut tight.
So much for the chrome if you do that but you will have that hot dripping plastic effect that every one is going for these days.

It's that wheel but a wood handle, not the black plastic in your pic. From my brief experience on this site it seems like if you don't make your car stock looking no one likes it.

It's that wheel but a wood handle, not the black plastic in your pic. From my brief experience on this site it seems like if you don't make your car stock looking no one likes it.

If the wheel pictured above does it for you, then use it. You can make/have fabricated a sturdy spacer that will accomplish the desired result. 3D printers can do anything, it's just a matter of how much cash you can print first.

FWIW, my 4DSD had a Grant flat wheel installed when I bought it. During the short trip from the transporter drop off spot to my shop, I hit the T/S stalk and dash pad enough to change it out for the original wheel before I drove it again.

Being tall(6' 4"), I found that the flat wheel was more troublesome to maneuver around than the original deep dish wheel.

Ultimately, the only one who's opinion/judgement matter's is your own.

Do what you want with the car, that's why you have it.

Hope the input helps.

John

From my brief experience on this site it seems like if you don't make your car stock looking no one likes it.
It's more that no one likes poorly executed, shoddy work that jeapordizes anyone's saftey we frown on. That said, if you can get/make an adapter that securely holds the custom wheel in place without sacrificing safety, go for it. Just don't put it on by any method that is questionable.

There's plenty of non stock cars on this forum, even some full blown customs, we're not haters, but very opinionated! :lol:

I’m not against a different steering wheel, I’m against something unsafe .My Plymouth doesn’t have the original steering wheel in it , I installed a different mopar wheel that I liked better. It took 10 minutes to take the old one off and 10 minutes to install the new one and I kept all the parts to change it back. They interchange easily with no modifications whatsoever . It’s your car and you can modify it any way you want. You need 3” of clearance so your flat wheel won’t hit your Signal light lever . So you will need a 3” spacer and the adapter to make the horn work .there just isn’t 3”of thread on the shaft . DO NOT under any circumstances heat the wheel spokes red hot and bend them while mounted on the column you will wreck the steering shaft bearing in a heart beat and probably melt your signal light cam. Order the proper parts or get a proper spacer machined. Be sure your new wheel fits on the master spline properly, this and the small metal dowel pin anchor the wheel in place . Only then tighten the nut on the shaft and hook up your horn button. Is it worth going through all of that for a custom steering wheel ? Only you and your bank account know for sure .
014E0498-8F96-466B-8762-644359715B6F.jpeg
284B6BC0-9962-4DB5-A603-0C77156F84B8.jpeg

That steering wheel looks good. I have no intentions of doing anything crazy like bending it or doing anything unsafe. I just like the steering wheel and was hoping there was an easy solution to my problem. I'll figure out next steps. Thanks

@Biggredd2069 So have you tried contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they suggest? Or possibly returning the wheel you have and finding something different?

upload_2019-2-1_18-2-31.png

Out of curiosity, I looked at the site that sells the wheels. The spacer is fine, no issue with safety. For you guys wondering, think of the "can" that goes between the wheel and the column on an E body. Same deal. The adapter bolts to the shaft, the spacer bolts to the adapter and then the wheel bolts to the spacer. No issue that I can see.

With that said, getting the correct length spacer is going to be tough. You may be able to call the manufacturer and they might be able to make the right spacer.

Like a lot of stuff out there, some things just aren't made to easily bolt up to a C-body. This is one of the reasons you don't see many aftermarket wheels in C-bodies. You do see wheels like @Welder guy has where it's a transplanted wheel from another Mopar. It just works better with no questions of safety.

That steering wheel looks good. I have no intentions of doing anything crazy like bending it or doing anything unsafe. I just like the steering wheel and was hoping there was an easy solution to my problem. I'll figure out next steps. Thanks
Good luck with your project, keep any parts your remove and enjoy your car .

Back