Cyl heads.

Well, I got the heads off today and my first hunch was the correct hunch. A burnt exhaust valve in # 1 hole.

DSC05759.JPG
DSC05760.JPG
DSC05762.JPG
DSC05763.JPG
DSC05764.JPG
DSC05765.JPG

Some galling evident at the stem tips. Looks like new valves throughout.

I'm moving back over to my 67 Thread in the slab section for the ongoing under hood upgrades.
thanks for your input here guys.:thumbsup:

Get some good one piece valves without the back face lips, free low lift airflow.
Look at how nice and high the pistons are in the bore. That combined with steel shim gaskets and the nice flat deck across from the plug is the best a BB mopar combustion chamber is going to get with a stock iron head. A fresh non nylon coated timing set and this car is ready for any road trip.

Last edited:
Get some good one piece valves without the back face lips, free low lift airflow.
Look at how nice and high the pistons are in the bore. That combined with steel shim gaskets and the nice flat deck across from the plug is the best a BB mopar combustion chamber is going to get with a stock iron head. A fresh non nylon coated timing set and this car is ready for any road trip.

I've been looking at the steel shim head gaskets Dave. They don't give them away.LOL. There is an NOS Mopar engine gasket set for 67 on ebay right now. A little pricey but nice stuff. All I really need from it are the head gaskets and intake valley gasket.
It's obvious the timing cover has been off. My guess is the timing gear set has been replaced, Not sure with what though. No receipts for parts like that, It does have a Mopar aluminum water pump.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the steel shim head gaskets Dave. They don't give them away.LOL. There is an NOS Mopar engine gasket set for 67 on ebay right now. A little pricey but nice stuff. All I really need from it are the head gaskets and intake valley gasket.
It's obvious the timing cover has been off. Mt guess is the timing gear set has been replaced, Not sure with what though. No receipts for parts like that, It does have a Mopar aluminum water pump.

You can do a little better at Mancini on shim gaskets.

Mopar Performance Steel Shim Head Gasket Set

Kevin

definitely buy those from mancini - don't put the .035's in there cuz they are a couple bucks cheaper

The Mancini price is good. Summit and FCA must be in a pissing contest. All Mopar Performance stuff is way out of line.
Summit and Jegs have.Mr. Gasket steel shims.
You should be able to see the back side of the top gear from lifter valley, and see it has no nylon covering, at that point I would call it good.

Last edited:
Back