Dallas 64 Newport

Almost nothing, you just need basic no frills spark plugs for your car. Whatever is in stock at your local store.

The front of the engine, the bottom pulley, right in the center of it, it's the only 1 & 1/4" hex bolt on the entire engine.

Cool plese post Picts when you have time...I'm located in the Wichita fall area and just acquired a 66' polara convertible... They make great projects

So I got the car back home fine. The motor turned fine and after switching out the plugs and a couple plug wires, the car fired up!!! I added transmission fluid, filled the radiator with water and put it in gear! One hiccup was the car didn't crank with the key. There is a switch going from the battery that goes to the starter that is bolted to the inside fender. I may have to replace it as I had to use a screwdriver to make the connection manually to crank the engine. Also it has no brakes, the pedal is loose and goes all the way down! So besides that I have to buy a battery, pull the gas tank and clean it and then I can really start fixing it up. One question I have is should I drain the radiator of all the water I added and fill it with antifreeze so I can run it so everything lubricates well? Also there was no oil pressure gauge after all.

I use solely water until I know everything is sorted out. When all is said and done, then I drain the water and add 50/50. No sense sending $$ down the driveway.

I agree with Stan, straight water won't hurt unless you're running hot anyway or the temps due to drop below freezing. Make sure you have no leaks or don't have to do any rairs to the cooling system then change it out to 50/50.
congrats on getting it running! Now pictures?

So here are a few pictures. The car is DIRTY!!! I will try to clean it up today if the rain stops. Also will try to drop the gas tank to clean it out. Is there a DIY thread anywhere on the forum? I use the search but it doesn't seem to find any how to threads on any subject.

All right, there she is! Looks like a great project. I'm not really up on cars of this vintage but if you haven't got a factory service manual for it yet you should get yourself one.
First step in removing the tank would be to empty as much out of it as possible, if there's anything in it at all. There should be 2 straps that support the tank that are on hooks at the rear and a couple of nuts on threaded rod at the front. First off spray that threaded rod and nuts down with some PB Blaster and let it soak while you remove the plumbing and the electric connection. Next remove the nuts and the straps will follow allowing you to slide the tank out from under the car. Be smart with jacks and jack stands to support the vehicle while working under it and if you have to work on the car by yourself make sure others know what you're doing and when you're doing it. Have cell phone within reach.

All right, there she is! Looks like a great project. I'm not really up on cars of this vintage but if you haven't got a factory service manual for it yet you should get yourself one.
First step in removing the tank would be to empty as much out of it as possible, if there's anything in it at all. There should be 2 straps that support the tank that are on hooks at the rear and a couple of nuts on threaded rod at the front. First off spray that threaded rod and nuts down with some PB Blaster and let it soak while you remove the plumbing and the electric connection. Next remove the nuts and the straps will follow allowing you to slide the tank out from under the car. Be smart with jacks and jack stands to support the vehicle while working under it and if you have to work on the car by yourself make sure others know what you're doing and when you're doing it. Have cell phone within reach.

Will do. Any reco on where to buy a service manual?

Do a search on Ebay for starters.

Congrats on the car! Looks like a fun project. I agree with the above post, check eBay. I have the full service manual for my car and it is a wealth of knowledge. I even left it with my body guy as it shows how to correctly remove every piece of trim on the car. Thankfully he has been around enough to have already learned about all the old fasteners and clips.

so yesterday, I pulled out the front seats and all of the carpet. I found some rust in the passenger side footwell and the driver side. how do I stop it from getting worse? On the driver side there is a dime sized hole caused by the rust. :angry2: sand it down to the bare metal?

also, what products are good to clean the dash? I was thinking just water and soap...maybe windex?

To clean a dash I use armor all into rot spray and water. I would sandblast out the rust then prime it, that's where my knowlage ends on rust, but its a start

There are several POR (paint over rust) products but to completely remove and replace is truly the best way to deal with rust.

Back