Dana 60

MEV

Reaction score
What donor vehicle should i look for a dana 60 to swap into my newyorker?

An E-body Dana is worth big money, do you have one laying around?

If you are really making enough power to warrant moving to a stronger rear, consider a 9" Ford instead of the Dana.

An E body Dana is insane $$$ and you'll probably end up modifying a truck Dana. I'll bet with a little looking around, you'll find a 9" Ford from a full size Ford that will work without having axles made etc.

The earlier 60's and 70' dodge and ford passenger trucks have the lighter Axel tubes. Unlike most motor homes and later Dana's were heavier to support the weight of a heavier load and is overkill for a car of any type.

My understanding is that dodge trucks came with a dana 60 that is inexpensive, plentiful and modify-able for passenger car use. I am just not sure which donor i shoulf be looking for.

All 3/4 and 1 tons from somewhere in the sixties clear to the nineties had Dana 60's. Sometime in the nineties when the Cummins started upping the ante on torque, dodge upped the ante to the Dana 70 and 80's. I don't know about width from truck to c body. But you will have to cut the floating axel housing ends off. There are many suppliers of housing ends that accept 8-3/4 brakes. Depending on how much power you are trying to put to the ground, don't overlook the Chrysler 9-1/4 rear it is said to take quite a beating and was stock in many c bodies. If your not using slicks the 9-1/4 will do just fine IMO

though a 9 1/4 locker from a 75 ramcharger . should be close to your track width , you will need new perches , but 75 chrysler ran them as well , i've got one with disc's on it from a 75 -6 imp . ok with a auto trans . your driveline will need to get longer .
DSC08033.JPG
DSC08036.JPG

I think i Read in a Mopar Mag that 9 1/4 Axles have 90% of the strength of a Dana 60 Axle. But they use C-Clips to hold them in.

I think it would be easier and a lot cheaper to find a Cbody 8 3/4.

I think i Read in a Mopar Mag that 9 1/4 Axles have 90% of the strength of a Dana 60 Axle. But they use C-Clips to hold them in.

In truth, supply is dwindling at an increased rate. Go 9-1/4..

I'm curious, why do you want to do this? Unless you're running huge power there's nothing wrong with the 8.75 rear. Or, is your New Yorker one of the later '70s car with the smaller rear?

As an FYI, I looked around for 9" before doing my Dana swap. The closest I could find from any truck or car application was 71-73 Mustang.

I have worked on many differentials in my career. I have seen many ones that use a "C" clip from G.M. fail. I have never seen one from Chrysler fail. The G.M. ones were not heat treated at the ends correctly. Go with the 9 1/4.

I'm curious, why do you want to do this? Unless you're running huge power there's nothing wrong with the 8.75 rear. Or, is your New Yorker one of the later '70s car with the smaller rear?

My car is a 66 and weighs 4767 race weight and i run sticky drag radials with a detroit locker. I run a 505/512 cu/in stroker. I may want to run slicks a few times and am worried about the 8 3/4

YA !! the races v. the mustang are epic. and the 1st one you wernt even ready, the 2nd one you got the drop on him heh.

The 8.75 can take a great amount of punishment. You should be fine as long as you're not doing neutral drops.

:wideyed:
That sir, is very impressive!

UH YA! I like that. I would love to see that boat kick some butt.
Eight years ago I was at the Big mopar spring show in Phoenix, where they raced all day. In the end the winner was a 57' Plymouth,fins and all with a 392 hemi. he kicked those challengers and roadrunners butt's all day. very funny!

Back