Dash Cams

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well, here it is. A thread about dash cams.
I want to get a couple of them.
For argument's sake, let's say I know nothing about them.
Months and months of Googling for info was useless. What's right for today is wrong for tomorrow it seems.
Help me out, please?

I'm looking about links by searching dash cam plus car name. So my first search under dash cam mustang got this one from 11/2016 with people telling what they use. Never even looked at one but that quality of the DOD video is truly great but of course budget dependent.

Dash Cam Suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Been looking at dash cams myself. Will be buying one fbefor a trip to Colorado at Thanksgiving. Right now i like the Cobra CDR900 model.

Months and months of Googling for info was useless. What's right for today is wrong for tomorrow it seems.
Help me out, please?

Couple go pro's and you're set. One in the front, one in the back, take em with you at night. Simple, effective.

Hmm, some of the really nice ones with good video are ones that I wouldn't want sticking on the windshield with me not around. Now I see why someone said they are a cursed blessing. Good to record driving video and good to steal. Some are USB and some are the standard lighter socket.

From what I see unobtrusiveness is an issue. Memory is an issue. HD video and an 8mb card not very good as compared to that DOD LS400W with a 64mb card. Set up if their manual is crap. Mount might be permanent on some. Small go pros very unobtrusive but better be removed when the car is unattended.

Man, some of these are impressive. Cloud and can connect to your iPhone. Not that I am in the market especially since I don't have an iPhone. Priced at $269

I thought of the Go-Pro but found they're not really meant for a vehicle install. I'd have to cobble-up a mount and power cord. At the time i was researching dash cams they had better video quality, gps, auto on-off with the car ignition etc than Go-Pro.

Help me out, please?
I would get middle of the road one unless you are documenting road trips or need to edit footage. Like you said next months model is on its way !

Man, some of these are impressive. Cloud and can connect to your iPhone. Not that I am in the market especially since I don't have an iPhone. Priced at $269

This video is way complicated for my 50 year old cars needs. I have troubles sometimes sending E-mails. We spend more time complicating our lives instead of enjoying them. Just get out there and drive your wheels off!!!

I bought one at WalMart, a few years ago, because it gave me an opportunity to see how I liked it, with the opportunity to return it in 90 days. I ended up keeping it and have had it for 3 years now. Today, Walmart and Walmart.com sells them, for anywhere from $35 and up.

I haven't used any but just thought that I'd mention...with the GoPro you can get a multitude of different brackets and mounts for any situation, making them a very versatile choice for more than just dash cam usage after the car is parked.

i have a z-edge and its decent. i had one that failed - it went all blue - they asked me to send it to a repair depot and they sent me a whole new rig and ive been good with this one.

I bought this el-cheapo at Costco a few years back.

upload_2017-8-31_20-16-43.jpeg

It's pretty decent, records in 5 minute videos in a loop. When the memory is full, it overwrites the oldest unlocked video clip. It has a shock sensor that automatically saves the current recording until you manually delete it, or you can push the save button for anything else you want to keep. There is also the option to leave the camera powered up so it will record if it senses motion when you are parked.

Here's a video sample. I had to replace the audio (radio broadcast) to comply with youtube's copyright policies.

I wonder what is the most popular model in Russia? Lots of videos on youtube with poor driving and most are from Russia

I found this site to be pretty informative.
DashCamTalk

And yes Stan, there are different resolutions.
Also GoPros aren't that good of a choice for a dash cam, at least they weren't when I got my dash cam. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, the GoPros recording time wasn't that long, and I think they had to run on an internal battery, and when the memory ran out they just stop recording, so you have to keep track of how much time you have left, which would be a PITA.
And if I had to recommend one of the features to get, it would be the capability to see what the camera is seeing. Either a built in screen, or a way to see it on your cell phone.

Last edited:
I wonder what is the most popular model in Russia? Lots of videos on youtube with poor driving and most are from Russia
Orlando would be a runner up... Yesterday it felt like every driveway and intersection had an idiot darting out from it or turning across three lanes to get into it.:elmer:

Thanks for the thread @commando1 , I have thought about this several times over the years... but I have little camera knowledge and less patience to learn about them.

Definitely get one that loops if something happens you lock or protect it, otherwise it gets overwritten without having to do anything.

I bought a Cobra Drive camera about 3 years ago for my company car. I'd been thinking about one for a bit and this one was at Costco. I bought it on a whim... Something I usually don't do with this type of purchase.

I liked the size and the mounting was OK. I never really liked using it though. It wasn't "user friendly" to me. It has a very small screen and I had to get right up to it to see what was happening. I had it working for a while, but I had some issues that I really didn't take the time to figure out.

I have thought about it a few times since then, in fact I just pulled it out a few minutes ago. I really want something else that's easier for me to use. Something that I could use with my I-phone would be nice, but that might also mean updating the ancient version of the I-phone I use.

Since I have three vehicles, this is where I have to make a decision.... I can stay with the lower end units and have three, which would put one in each car or have one or two really nice ones that I swap around... Or some combination of both.

I looked at the Go-Pros last night. They can be set up to loop record and to run while charging, but they still lack a G sensor that will store the loop before a crash. I think you could do it manually, but if you think about it, you might not be able to reach up and hit the button after a crash.

Back