Dash Pad Color

Furyus67

Reaction score
I am hoping to buy the dash pad @67-Fury has listed. His is blue, but I will need to paint it red. I was on the phone with Chas from 8774Paint1 trying to figure out a solution. He couldn't find any paint codes for a '67 Fury interior. For a '68 Fury he could find Aztec Maroon Poly Low Gloss, Rebel Red Poly - Low Gloss, and Aztec Maroon Ploy Suede. It is my belief that those colors are for the metal dash itself. I will be painting the dash pad. Was the dash pad the same color material as the vinyl on the seats or would it have been the same color as the metal dash paint. It's hard for me to tell since my dash and dash pad are so old and discolored.

Side Note: From reading other posts, it sounds like the removal of the dash itself is near impossible without removing the windshield for the 67's? Is this the general consensus? While poking around last night I noticed screws that appear to be under the black seal for the window that are connecting the dash to the firewall.

Here's what I'm working with. Not the best pictures. Just went out to the garage and turned the flash on.
IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

Might go into the TCPGlobal website and look at paint chips. Seems like the interior colors are also listed? You might also find the interior color schemes in the Library at www.hamtramck-historical.com, too. Then you can look at the '67 and '68 colors. In many cases, the color names in the supplier side of things might not match what the factory called the same colors. Hence, the need to match the color code on the Data Plate or Build Sheet.

As the metal and pad are usually the same color on Chrysler Products, you can get tne metal paint and also some "flex agent" to mix with it for the padded dash pad's color.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

SEM Vinyl Coat or Color Coat flexible paints are your best bet. I have been using their products for years, and couldn't be happier.

For your application I would choose between their FIRETHORN RED or their PORTOLA RED.

Here is a colour chart:

SEM_color_chart_1__89522.jpg

@cbarge can probably help with dash removal. For later cars, the windshield does not have to come out.
Yep. .65 to 68 slab cars remove windshield to remove dash.
Get dash on bench, flip it face down to access dashpad nuts.
People had removed the pad with dash still in car but it is very difficult.

Looking at all the different sources, does it sound right that my interior is Medium Red Metallic?
9238LM Med. Red Met.

I know this is for 1966 Chrysler, but it looks like the code M4R, which is what I have on my 67, is Med. Red

FWIW my 70 Polara has a 2 tone green vinyl interior with the light green having a bit of a metallic sheen to it. This is now going back about 15+ years but I went into an automotive paint supply shop with a sample. They used a scanning device to tell them the correct shade, then they mixed up a couple spray bombs for me. The colour was a perfect match.

FWIW my 70 Polara has a 2 tone green vinyl interior with the light green having a bit of a metallic sheen to it. This is now going back about 15+ years but I went into an automotive paint supply shop with a sample. They used a scanning device to tell them the correct shade, then they mixed up a couple spray bombs for me. The colour was a perfect match.
NAPA warehouse does not in Richmond. Not cheap.

I spoke to Jamie of Kolor Korrect yesterday. She stated Medium Red Metallic was the only color red used for interior in 1967 for Fury's. She said the dash would have been Medium Red Metallic Suede and the dash pad would have been Medium Red Metallic low gloss. She stated she has the formula for the original color, as well as the formula for the color used by Legendary on the seats I have.

That aligns with what I found in the link above about medium red metallic. She stated her paint only comes in lacquer and was quite expensive at $85 an aerosol can.

In the service manual towards the back is a listing of interior colors and what pieces they used them on (at least for the 68 Polara’s). For instance my dash and dash pad are Aztec Maroon suede. My a-pillars and interior roof rails are rebel red metallic as well as the sail panels. The dash pad on mine is the same tone as the Aztec poly which is my metal dash frame as well.
Last page in the service manual. Example for the Dodge Polara and Monaco, not the Fury.
5FAFA10D-3CA5-4E4C-AEF5-F9934F6CE645.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I spoke to Jamie of Kolor Korrect yesterday. She stated Medium Red Metallic was the only color red used for interior in 1967 for Fury's. She said the dash would have been Medium Red Metallic Suede and the dash pad would have been Medium Red Metallic low gloss. She stated she has the formula for the original color, as well as the formula for the color used by Legendary on the seats I have.

That aligns with what I found in the link above about medium red metallic. She stated her paint only comes in lacquer and was quite expensive at $85 an aerosol can.
From your pictures it does look like the “rebel red metallic” vs my Aztec, but I am sure Plymouth had a different name.

Back