Dash pad manufacturing?

swisherred

Reaction score
When someone ordered an optional padded dash like in the 300s where the whole dash has added padding...did they cover the original dash pad with a foam backed vinyl on top of the normal molded vinyl or did they make it special order? I have a padded dash I'd like to sell but don't know if its original or or had the padding added by someone. It has actual stitching and isn't just.molded....and if I peel back a corner I can see the original molded vinyl underneath it.

The dashes were all the same, regardless of car series. Sounds like you have a dash that someone added new vinyl to at some point in time.

Jeff

What model year and make of the vehicle in question? Just curious.

Seems like padded dash pads were standard from the 1965 model year forward on most vehicles? Even earlier on others. Being OEM, they would be molded.

About 20 years ago, a friend procured a verified CHP ('formal") Royal Monaco and restored it into a Bluesmobile. It was a great restoration, especially under the hood. He found a trim shop (specializing in boat interiors) that recovered the existing padded dash, stitching it together. They did a credible job, but not a restoration perfect job. He priced them at Just Dashes and felt that price was too high for him, so he found the other place locally.

When I was looking at the K-car New Yorkers at a new car show, I noticed that when they made the mold for the dash pad, they obviously used a stitched-together pad. It was a very detailed situation, copying the texture of the thread used in the pattern, right down to the LINT on the thread. I was impressed and smiled when I saw that . . . molded right into the vinyl covering. ONLY Chrysler would do that!

CBODY67

1968 monaco fast top

20190915_091134.jpg

20190915_091144.jpg

Back